H4 Extension Applied : Receipt Notice not received

Anuradha_Joshi

Hi,
I have a very urgent question regarding my H4 extension. Any help would be highly appreciated.

My current H4 is valid till 01-OCT-2007. I applied for my H4 extension (I539) about a month back. Please note that my husband's H1 extension has already been approved, we missed filing the H4 along with the H1, so we filed the H4 later.

But the problem is, there was a typographical error in the Address on the H4 application (I539). The Apartment # was incorrect and we realized it later. Because of this I haven't received the Receipt Notice yet. However, I was able to get the EAC# from the check that they deposited in the bank(USCIS writes the EAC# on the back of the check).

I called USCIS and asked the Customer Representative to correct the address on the application. She said she has placed a requisition for the same and gave me a referral no. corresponding to it. Then after 2-3 days I called them again to confirm if the address has been corrected, to which they replied that they have no way to confirm that.

I also asked them about sending me the receipt notice at the corrected address and they said it might take upto 90 days.

Now my question is -
1. If I want to go to India after the expiration of my current H4 and before receiving any receipt notice or approval of my H4 extension, will I be marked for deportation? Does anyone check at the airport?

2. While leaving the country, the I94 has to be returned, will those guys ask me why I overstayed? I would not be having any proof that I have applied for my H4 extension except for the EAC#. But there is no way to prove that the EAC# corresponds to my application.

I know that leaving the country before the H4 approval will abandon my application, but I am not concerned about that. I can reapply for the same in India again. I applied for the extension here because I wanted to stay a couple of weeks more than my current H4 validity.

I do not want to take the risk of being marked for deportation. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Anuradha

how to speak with USCIS customer service for receipt number

Hi

how did you contact USCIS? Even i am in ind of similar situation. It has been more than week that USCIS received my application. i haven't got any receipt number form them. i am little worried. can you let me know how did you speak with USCIS customer sevice?

Hi

how did you contact USCIS? Even i am in ind of similar situation. It has been more than week that USCIS received my application. i haven't got any receipt number form them. i am little worried. can you let me know how did you speak with USCIS customer sevice?

There are taking about couple of weeks to give out a receipt notice these days.

Now my question is -
1. If I want to go to India after the expiration of my current H4 and before receiving any receipt notice or approval of my H4 extension, will I be marked for deportation? Does anyone check at the airport?

As long as you have a valid visa to come back you should be fine.

2. While leaving the country, the I94 has to be returned, will those guys ask me why I overstayed? I would not be having any proof that I have applied for my H4 extension except for the EAC#. But there is no way to prove that the EAC# corresponds to my application.

Not to be much worried about this, take an online print out of details about your pending case.

I know that leaving the country before the H4 approval will abandon my application, but I am not concerned about that. I can reapply for the same in India again. I applied for the extension here because I wanted to stay a couple of weeks more than my current H4 validity.

Given this case, it seems you need to get a visa again, so take your husband H1 approval notice with you and apply for H4 visa in India.

I do not want to take the risk of being marked for deportation. Please advise.

You have applied I-539 while on a valid status, so don't worry extra, you are fine.

Zia
immigrationezee.com