H1B Working Visa-Important FAQs(4)

h1bdiy

Registered Users (C)
Need H-1B? Please go to http://www.h1bdiy.com/
Save tons of time, energy and money!

Q.How do I get extension for my H-1B Visa?
A: H1B extension is the extension of authorization to work in the U.S but it is not the actual Visa: In order to travel across the U.S you need to get your Visa stamped against the new extension, this is known as H-1B revalidation.

Q. What is the new legislation on H-1B Visa?
A: The most recent legislation on H-1B is the American Competitiveness in the 21st Century Act of 2000, which became effective on October 17, 2000. The new legislation permits extension of H-1B status past the six-year limit where a labor certification has been pending for 365 days or longer, regardless of whether or not a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, has been filed. Another Act on H-1B is the 21st Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act, effective since November 2, 2002.

Q.What is premium processing of H-1B petition?
A: Through the USCIS Premium Processing Service U.S. employers may pay a $1,000 fee for expedited processing of their H-1B's. This service guarantees that within 15 days USCIS will issue either an approval notice, a notice of intent to deny, a request for evidence or a notice of investigation for fraud or misrepresentation. This service is available from July 30, 2001. Employers may request Premium Processing by filing a completed Form I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service.

Q. What status will be assigned to H-1B workers who are laid-off?
A: If you are laid-off or have resigned from your current employer, you will lose your status immediately. It is advisable to leave the U.S. as soon as possible to avoid legal issues. You will not be able to change your status to any other Visa because you have lost your valid Visa status.

Q.Can I transfer my H-1B Visa to another company?
A: You may apply for an H1B transfer to another company. For this you need a valid employment in the U.S. Also you have to prove that you have recent pay stubs (at least 60 days old) and last year W2 forms (if applicable). If you do not have recent pay slips, then you may need to explain the reasons to USCIS. (Unpaid vacation or long sick leave approval letters from your current employer may be considered.) As per law, the petitions that were filed after the last date of employment are not eligible for change of status or change of employment because the applicant becomes out of status when the applicant loses the job. The laid off H-1B worker will be considered out of status even though he has valid H-1B Visa in his passport or valid I-94 card.

Need H-1B? Please go to http://www.h1bdiy.com/
Save tons of time, energy and money!