H1b Stamping and Landing

srini88

Registered Users (C)
I changed jobs and moved to a new company in the US. I also have to land in canada before Aug to keep my PR. Once I get my H1B approval papers from my new company, can I go to canada and get my passport stamped with the H1B of my new company at the US consulate in canada since at that time I will be a canadian PR?

Also how long does it take to do that at a US consulate in canada? Has anyone here done that?

Thanks

Hi,

My situation more or less same. I was on F1, just finished OPT and got H1 Approval..

Recently, I got Canadian PR status under family class. Now I am planning for H1 stamping in Canada as well as FIRST time landing (By Road) in Canada and return to US immediately. I tried to put some doubts here , If any body can help I am very thankful to them.

First of all, Can I go to Canada with my landing papers and get my H1 stamped there in US Consulate and come back to US immediately after my H1 stamping? Are there any chances of questioning like you just landed and want H1 immediately at US Consulate.

Any suggestions on particular Port of Entry in Ontario, any recent experiences of people landed by Road got H1 stamping and returned US immediately. How the formalities goes at the port of entry, Do I need to show the funds, what I mentioned in the application form. What all questions they ask you before they letting us in (BY ROAD) as an immigrant at port of Entry. Do they cross check in any way, do they allow my husband to be with me while the process in going on at custom and immigration officers

And about H1 B stamping, Basically, I am using Toronto address for my new SIN card etc purposes, Do I need to select only TORONTO US consulate for my H1 Stamping Or Can I choose OTTAWA?. I have some news that Ottawa is FAST in stamping H1, I f we have proper documents.

I am planning in the first week of MARCH, do I need to take online appointment. Can I book 2 appointments at the same time, just for safe side.

May be I have too many questions, but pls bear with me. I am appreciate any body for continuing this thread.

Thanks in advance
KAL

Canada landing and H1B Stamping

Here is some info for the group. I just came back from Canada, after landing and getting my H1B visa stamped. It went smoothly, and there were no issues at all.

Immigration

* Drove up straight to the customs/immigration post where I was asked to pull over under the canopy and go see immigration first, and then customs.
* I was asked to take a seat by the immigration officer, and called up to the desk about 7-8 minutes later.
* I was asked for my landing papers, and my status in the U.S. I showed my passport with the expired visa, and the old I-94. I was asked to prove current valid status. I then showed my new 797, and the officer pointed out, slightly irritatedly, that this is for another 3 years, so when I do I move into Canada? I said "This is just a renewal, I plan to move in a few months. I just made this trip since I had to visit some friends and the date for landing was running out, so might as well get it done this time".
* He took all the documents, and asked me to take a seat.
* He made copies of all the documents, made me sign the confirmation of landing papers, stapled the 4th copy of the landing papers in my passport, and asked me to see customs.
- Overall, a bit stern officer (looks and talks), but by the books, if one has all the documentation, there should be no problem.

Customs

* Provided a list of items to follow. They seemed to have some issue (looked troubled, I had to change nothing) with the fact that I was not bringing in my car at the time. I told them I was going to sell it anyway - it's just on the list since I own it right now.
* Provided pictures of the jewelry that might follow. They just looked at it, but weren't very interested in keeping it. I still asked them to.
* I declared $10K, so they had to fill out another declaration that I signed. (Anything over C$10K needs to be reported). Nothing big there.
* Got a receipt (casual goods accounting document) and a stamped copy of the personal effects accounting document, and a stamped copy of the list, that I kept with me.
- Overall, Nothing to be scared about - Customs just records everything you intend to bring. If you have the right documentation (arrange it neatly, that helps), you are all set.

H1B Stamping

* Had a 9:30 appointment (first available). Got there at 9:00 a.m., and there were already 20 people ahead of me. Apparently, people do walk in. The consulate has a few computers where you can fill out the DS-156 online.
* A security guard checked the necessary documents (156, 157, $100 and $50, passport, and 797)
* Went to the cashier to pay the $100.
* After about 10 minutes, was called to another window where the documents were reviewed, the 156 barcode scanned, numerous punches on the keyboard, and a few questions about my visit to Canada asked:
Q: When did you come to Canada?
A: 2 days ago.
Q: Where are you staying in Canada?
A: With my friend
Q: Are you here just for your H1B stamping?
A: Yes.
Q: Did you just finish your landing?
Q: I'm sorry. That's what I was asking you before - if you were in Canada just for H1B or for another purpose.
A: Oh, I'm sorry. I did not get that.
Q: Nothing else, this will just save you $50 reciprocity fee.

* Was asked to take my seat. After about 10/15 minutes, I was called for the interview. Conversation:
Q: So, what do you do for XXXXX?
A: I work as a XXXX. I do XXXX.
Q: For them, do you do YYYY as well?
A: No, I don't, but I do XXXX to support YYYY.
Q: What does your spouse do?
A: Told what she does.
Q: Where is the rest of your family?
A: India
Q: Ok. I will need you to put your index fingers for the prints.
After the prints, I was told to come back to collect the passport later the same day.

Remeber to take: original 797, letter from employer, lawyer certified copy of labor application, and 3 most recent paystubs. Arrange it neatly, and it helps.
:)

Thanks mithunda for the detailed description I am planning to do the same thing. I was initially worried since if you get rejected you have to go to india.

What do you mean by the "certified copy of labor application" ? Is this for the GC process or is this for the H1b process?

Also are you planning to import your car to canada? If so how much is it approximately costing you to do the modifications, pay duties etc

Thanks

Re: Canada landing and H1B Stamping

Originally posted by mithunda

Here is some info for the group. I just came back from Canada, after landing and getting my H1B visa stamped. It went smoothly, and there were no issues at all.
Thank you so much for such a detailed discription of your landing and stamping. This is really helpful.

Immigration

* Drove up straight to the customs/immigration post where I was asked to pull over under the canopy and go see immigration first, and then customs.
* I was asked to take a seat by the immigration officer, and called up to the desk about 7-8 minutes later.
* I was asked for my landing papers, and my status in the U.S. I showed my passport with the expired visa, and the old I-94. I was asked to prove current valid status. I then showed my new 797, and the officer pointed out, slightly irritatedly, that this is for another 3 years, so when I do I move into Canada? I said "This is just a renewal, I plan to move in a few months. I just made this trip since I had to visit some friends and the date for landing was running out, so might as well get it done this time".
* He took all the documents, and asked me to take a seat.
* He made copies of all the documents, made me sign the confirmation of landing papers, stapled the 4th copy of the landing papers in my passport, and asked me to see customs.
- Overall, a bit stern officer (looks and talks), but by the books, if one has all the documentation, there should be no problem.

Customs

* Provided a list of items to follow. They seemed to have some issue (looked troubled, I had to change nothing) with the fact that I was not bringing in my car at the time. I told them I was going to sell it anyway - it's just on the list since I own it right now.
* Provided pictures of the jewelry that might follow. They just looked at it, but weren't very interested in keeping it. I still asked them to.
* I declared $10K, so they had to fill out another declaration that I signed. (Anything over C$10K needs to be reported). Nothing big there.
* Got a receipt (casual goods accounting document) and a stamped copy of the personal effects accounting document, and a stamped copy of the list, that I kept with me.
- Overall, Nothing to be scared about - Customs just records everything you intend to bring. If you have the right documentation (arrange it neatly, that helps), you are all set.

H1B Stamping

* Had a 9:30 appointment (first available). Got there at 9:00 a.m., and there were already 20 people ahead of me. Apparently, people do walk in. The consulate has a few computers where you can fill out the DS-156 online.
* A security guard checked the necessary documents (156, 157, $100 and $50, passport, and 797)
* Went to the cashier to pay the $100.
* After about 10 minutes, was called to another window where the documents were reviewed, the 156 barcode scanned, numerous punches on the keyboard, and a few questions about my visit to Canada asked:
Q: When did you come to Canada?
A: 2 days ago.
Q: Where are you staying in Canada?
A: With my friend
Q: Are you here just for your H1B stamping?
Q: Did you just finish your landing?
Q: I'm sorry. That's what I was asking you before - if you were in Canada just for H1B or for another purpose.
A: Oh, I'm sorry. I did not get that.
Q: Nothing else, this will just save you $50 reciprocity fee.

* Was asked to take my seat. After about 10/15 minutes, I was called for the interview. Conversation:
Q: So, what do you do for XXXXX?
A: I work as a XXXX. I do XXXX.
Q: For them, do you do YYYY as well?
A: No, I don't, but I do XXXX to support YYYY.
Q: What does your spouse do?
A: Told what she does.
Q: Where is the rest of your family?
A: India
Q: Ok. I will need you to put your index fingers for the prints.
After the prints, I was told to come back to collect the passport later the same day.

Remeber to take: original 797, letter from employer, lawyer certified copy of labor application, and 3 most recent paystubs. Arrange it neatly, and it helps.
:)

Sorry, this is my first to post message, just want to thank mithunda for the very helpful information.

Certified copy of LCA is for the H1B as well. Just ask your lawyer to send you a copy, and put a note on the top, stating that this copy is certified by him.
As for the car, I am not sure - probably not. With all the snow in Canada, I'll need a bigger one anyway!
Hope this helps.

Hi All , I really need help fast. Please suggest something.

Looks like you know lot of info. May be you or anyone can please guide me in the right direction.

This is my case:
Canada Green Card Process:
My Medicals done around April 15th 2003.
Later Added my wife to the application.
Now the Government of Canada sent to my attorney that a decision has been made and i have to send my passport.

Meanwhile:
US H1 -
I am in 6th Year of H1. Applied for extension after 5th year in December 8th. Still havent heard from them(Looks like a query came by a week back and they recieved reply from my company also on March 18th).

I am on the same job for 3 Years. But i have to send the passport and also visit within one year of medical to canada.

Can someone suggest what should i do??

My attorney is aking for his last payment of installment and says he is not sure if they will extend the 1 year period if i dont get my visa. He is even asking me to leave the job and come over to canada if possible.

Please HELP!!!!

My option is to apply for premiumm process and get my H1 visa. shall i do that?

Sri.

I don't know if you can switch between regular and premium processing at this stage, but if you can, you must. In hindsight, that should have been the way to go about it.
Meanwhile, send passport for canada - it comes back in a week. When it comes, and hopefully H1B too, go to Canada, complete your landing and get H1B stamping as well. If you get some slack on dates for Canada landing, send passport to state department, and then do Canada later. Either way is fine - first priority should be to get H1B, especially if you want to stay here.
The final decision is based on what you want to hold on to - US or Canada.
I'm not a lawyer, so they (your lawyers) can probably guide you best. At this stage keep compaany lawyer and canada lawyer abreast of both developments - it helps, as they can give you documentation, and good direction.

Well Thank You so much mithunda,

I really appreciate your words for me. My canadian lawyer is not willing to talk unless i pay the installment. I am planning to visit Buffalo myself , to get my passport stamped as the contact still says my Canadian Lawyer whom i dont want to send the passport. Meanwhile i will apply for premium processing here and see if the dates come along.

can some one give me the web address for US Consulate appointment in canada for stamping ? Also does anybody know that if i visit Buffalo office myself can i get my passport stamped for canada GC?

My US lawyers doesnt know much about canada..

Thanks , have a good day.

One last thing, I do not have any correspondence from canadian govt that i have to send my passport to them . I think my lawyer has it. Can i still go to the Buffalo office without that letter and get my passport stamped?

www.nvars.com

I am not sure if you can go without the letter. Is your lawyer (or is it an immigration agency) holding back your letter for the payment of your installment? Depending on who is in the right, there is a potential to either mess up your case, or you having the ability to complain about the agency. There is information on the CIC website about filing such complaints.

Hope this helps.

Hi
Is it possible that after you book a reservation online in the nvars system can you change it a later date? Do you have to pay the fee again ( 10 dollars I think) or once you pick a date you are locked into that date?

Thanks

as far as i know, infact i did change mine, but that was last yr in august. dunno the current system

to those who got their H1 stamp from canada, after how many weeks did you get the appointment date?
am i too late to get an appointment in toronto for around 15th april?

also, to mithunda, concerning the question you were asked, is it wrong to go to canada just for the purpose of H1 stamp?

Personally, I do not think it is wrong or anything - they probably noticed the landing visa in my passport and asked me - and being honest about everything is probably the best way. There is no relation between H1B and canada landing, so they don't care. Even CIC does not care as much as it seems - why would they limit you to two out of five years as a PR if they did? It is usual for people to land and go back to finish their business, wherever they are from.
Hope this helps.

Hi mithunda,
I read that the 100 dollars fee first has to be deposited at a Scotia bank. Do they accept it as US dollars or did you have to convert it to equivalent amount in canadian dollars? If so does then bank do that for you or do you have to do that in advance?

Also in the DS-156 form it asks how long is your intended stay in the US? Did you put till the expiry of the visa or something else? I guess like you posted that landing has nothing to do with h1b stay but I didn't want someone to look at that and say well you just landed so how come you are staying so long in the US since my h1b is for three years.

Also for the question " Has anyone filed an immigrant visa petition" what did you put. My GC is about to get started and I was concerned about that since I had just landed in canada. Is it safe to say that they are not concerned?

$100 in cash (USD) works.
If you have not started GC yet, you can probably say no. Check with your lawyer to make sure.
The canadian immigration authorities may have a problem with a 3 year extension of the visa, but you can tell them that it's a renewal, which is for a minimum period of 3 years, and that you do not intend to stay in the US that long.
Hope that helps.

My Whole Canadian Gc Experience.

Hi,

I am writing this after long time. Last week i guess i finished all my formalities and had visited to canada and they said they will send the PR Card to the address i gave in one and half month. So here i am trying to write my experience so it may help any of you guys.
My details:
1) US GC in Process still in Labor from NY.
2) Appllied for Canada GC and got approval , but i had to extend the 1 year landing period since i did not have H1(sent for regular processing). I went directly to buffalo canadian immigration office and let them know that i wont be able to return to US(as i have some more work left) so i cannot visit within one year period. They extended my visa for another six months. My canadian attorney was fooling me(atleast scaring me) but hinestly its not a big deal. If you are in USA and have good bank balance to show, canadian govt i think will be more than willing to take you as a immigrant.
3)I parked my car in Niagara Falls NY. I thought of talkint to US immigration if all my documents are ok to come back to US. However there i got a bit problem. My passport still had the old expired I-94 stapled, and the officer was like "You guys were living in this country illegally for a year now". When i was trying to explain that i have my visa valid its just that i didnt visit out of US so this I-94 has expired,and i am here just to accept my canada GC and i will come back, but he along with a lady police were talking of possibilities like "We should ask them to leave to Canada" and all that. Honestly i got very scared thinking i should not have walked over to canada(and these officers are in police uniforms, may be they are police and you feel they going to jail you). They took us inside and he handed those documents to another police officer. At that time i also gave him my bank sttements and my approved 7th year h1 extension with I-94 upto 2005. They asked us to have a seat and two police guys were checking my documents continuosly all over and talking some thing. I was SCARED. Then the officer came to me and handed over the documents and said "You have more than enough documents to travel. If any body stops you , show this new I-797 with new I-94 and you can easily come into US, with no problem." . Compare to the other officer this officer was more polite now, and i think it depends on the situation you they caught you in, if they feel something wrong, they wont listen to you. Bottom line if you have proper documents you will be fine.
4) I crossed the bridge, the canadian customs officer asked me for Bank Statements. I showed him the same and gave him the address in canada. He asked for if i had any phone number in canada, i didnt have so i said no. He said thats ok. He put some PR document into my passport and said i cannot travel through any private like airlines, our commercial bus, cab etc until i get my PR card. I should only travel by my car, or walking till then. I said ok.
5) Then i went to Niagara City in Canada, the HRDC(SIN office) and applied for my and my wife SIN Card. They said it would be better if i apply in toronto since i dont have any phone number but then i got the phone number and i applied there itself. We roamed around in Niagara City, Canada and came back after spending few hours as we had some urgent work in USA again.
6)Entering US, i showed the officer my 797 and he detached the I-94 and staped into my passport. I was free back into America.

Now i have to make arrangements to get my PR Card so that i can travel to canada anytime in future.

Regards

H1b 7th Revalidation with Canadian PR

Anyone in situation like me or had already done 7th year extension in Canada, specifically Toronto please respond.

I am landed immigrant in Canada and have Canadian PR Card.
I have my 7th year H1-B extension and want to revalidate H1-B visa in Toronto, Canada.

1. In H1-B Visa appointment confirmation letter its mentioned that one should have "Proof of Income / Ties to Canada" and following Canadian document are generally useful to establish ties:
-It is mandatory Current letter of employment
-Pay slip and tax document
-Property deeds
-PR Card
-Montly Bank Statement

Out of above list, I only have PR Card as I have never worked in Canada, but work and live in US.

Can I Revalidate 7th Year H1-B in Canada ?

2. If anyone in same situation as mine, has gone through this, could you share your experience and list documents and question that you were asked?

Thank You.
Vive

nvars.com appointment

I am trying to make an appointment on nvars.com but I am not able
to. I entered my passport number; system assigns me a
reference number. Then I entered my personal
information and clicked 'Next'. It takes me to
calendar page, I selected Vancouver and Jan of 2005
and clicked on number 4, it takes me to weekly
calendar page. My question is how I will select day
and time. It just shows days and time in table format
but there is nothing that I can select and proceed to