H1B renewal and I-797

vin74

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I got my H1B renewal recently. Now my employeer is not willing to send I-797. Thay have send the original I-94 and a photocopy of I-797.

My question is in the past I have been receiving Orig I-797.
Does employeer get two copy of I-797 or just one.

Would I be needing original I-797 in the future.

Any help is highly appreciated.

I-797 is employers property.
I-94 is yours.
So A copy of I-797 is enough for all practical purposes from your side. But you need to staple the I-94 to your passport.
HTH

I-797

Thanks hathwar for this information. So a photocopy of I-797 will suffice for me for all my purposes. BUT I am just wondering how come all my previous employers gave the orig. Do they receive 2 sets of I-797 or just one(As u said is employeer property).

Also I know when I went for driver lincence they asked me for orig I-797.
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your DL take a copy of the I-797 and the Employment letter. For backup take last 2 paystubs. Here in Ohio it worked for my wife as we have misplaced her i-797 original.

The earlier employers are probably ignorant of the fact as mine were/are. I have all the originals as I took my lawyer to the company and as a favor I get my originals from him and my employer gets a copy. But its not the norm.

Make sure the lower part of the I-797 (next to the I-94) is also with you. That indicates your status in US. That should not be a problem for the employer to give it to you.

I have valid H1b stamped on Nov 2005. I have never visited to US till

now.
Right now i am not having original i-797b form with me or any original

forms given with H1b petition kit. I have major apprehension whether i can

travel without this original form or not. Does visa officer ask for original

i-797b form or suppose i reach US without original i-797b form then will i

need it for H1b transfer or for someother needful things.
The original H1b kit is with my employer.
I dont have offer letter from client its with employer only.
I have front page photo copy of i-797. Is this enough.