H1B is better than Green Card

kali_GC

Dear all
I just realized that H1B is better than green card. For H1B you can change employer at any time but in green card I am seeing so much pain if you change employer soon after GC approval. I have not found any body in trouble during citizen interview but we can't sleep well if you change employer soon after GC approval. So, I came to the conclusion that H1B is better.

Dear all
I just realized that H1B is better than green card. For H1B you can change employer at any time but in green card I am seeing so much pain if you change employer soon after GC approval. I have not found any body in trouble during citizen interview but we can't sleep well if you change employer soon after GC approval. So, I came to the conclusion that H1B is better.

:confused::confused::confused:

What are you talking about!!! Where did you get this from???

H1B = low wages. Green Card= higher salary and if your sponsor gives you the boot you can get a job elsewhere. H1B's are often perceived by Citizens/Residents as job takers and cheap labor. Not trying to stir up feelings just what I have seen by working 10 years in the IT industry.

kali gc,
Do you realize that a GC means "Legal Permanent Residence" vs. a temp. work visa.
I can't follow your logic...

Dear all

Well H1B is employer specific , so how is this better? If you leave one employer on H1B you'd still have to find another employer to responsor you.

Dear all

Tell that to the thousands of H-1Bs on wall street, who are shitting bricks because they may lose their jobs and be forced to head home. Aren't we forgetting unemployment, subsidized student loans, easier access to mortgage (not so sure about this in this mkt), faster processing at US airports etc.

...in green card I am seeing so much pain if you change employer soon after GC approval....
There is no pain here if you act with integrity and a clear conscience. I think what often pains people is their guilty conscience after leaving their sponsoring organization too soon.

Are you kidding? I am surprised that you didn't know what difference between H1 and green card is.

H1 rules:
- Six year term limit.
- low wages
- risky (losing a job forces you to go home or be out of the status)
- requires you to go to US embassy/consulate to get H1 visa if you go for vacation and don't have a visa stamp on your passport or change job
- If you go to Canada or Mexico or Caribbean islands or Bremuda, you will need foreign visas to visit them.
- doesn't allow you to apply for U.S. citizenship.
- requires to take fingerprint at the port.
- allows you to bring your spouse and children (only if you get H4 visas for them).
- There is no grace period for layoff H1 workers. http://www.murthy.com/news/UDnograc.html
- In some states, driver license's expiration date is the expiration date of your H1 visa. http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=135211
- sometimes doesn't allow you to win sweepstake prizes based on rules of sweepstakes. (read rules. Open to only all US residents and US citizens.)

Green card rules:
- live, study, or work permanently
- enjoy your life without worrying about anything. no risks.
- high salary.
- allows you to change your job as long as you want. -- to be safe, to change your job 6 months after gc approval.
- No impact on applying for citizenship if you are fired or laid off or change job.
- allows you to apply for U.S. citizenship (either 3 years if married to US citizen spouse or 5 years)
- gurantees you to travel to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean islands, Bremuda, and Swizterland using green card without foreign visa.
- allows you to sponsor your spouse and relatives.
- In all states, same treatment of US citizens for renewal of your driver license.
- allows you to get prizes if you win sweepstakes.

so tell me which one is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you explain this little bit? Spouse and Children, I understand. Anyone else included in the relatives list???

The family member who will sponsor you for a Green Card can be your:

* Husband or wife (please refer to our Green Card through Marriage application)
* Widow or widower of a U.S. citizen
* Brother or sister (including half-brothers and half-sisters)
* Son or daughter (including illegitimate children)
* Stepson or stepdaughter
* Stepparent of a U.S. citizen child
* Adopted son or daughter
* Adopted parent (please refer to our Green Card through Adoption section)
* Father or mother
* Battered or abused spouse or child

Hib vs gc

I read the messages on the above segment and was somewhat amused. GC holders or ones trying to get GC.

I would like to point out where there is no difference
1. neither would get medicare
2 neither have the right to vote.

If all you avid GC holders are passionate about residency in US, please post your replies on who all agree with me that GC holders should have the right to Vote.

Thanking you all in anticipation,

Anjana

Greencard holders can get welfare if they need it. H1B can't get squat. Green card holders can't vote in federal elections but in some cases they can in local ones. GC holders CAN get medicare. Medicare is a Health Insurance Program for people age 65 or older, some disabled people under age 65, and people of all ages with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure treated with dialysis or a transplant).If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility.

Greencanrd holders can change employers at will, are eligible for federal financial aid for college, can join the military if desired and often times are eligilble for mortgages with better terms than a simple foreign national. H1B's cannot pursue an advance degree while on H1B unless you quit and attain F1 status. I think the advantages of GC outnumber those of H1B. oh and after 5 years you can become a U.S citizen. after 5 years an H1B gets another H1B and so forth? any more questions???

Hey you did not understand what I meant

Hey Guys:
Please read carefully my post. I only said if one change employer right after GC approval, panic night starts. I found so many inquiries about the time interval after GC approval. In this case H1B would be better to get wonderful sleep.

Hey Guys:
Please read carefully my post. I only said if one change employer right after GC approval, panic night starts. I found so many inquiries about the time interval after GC approval. In this case H1B would be better to get wonderful sleep.

I know of no law that prohibits you from doing so. anyway once you get the greencard you can bargain for more $$$ and better treatment or you can tell your employer you got an better offer.