H1B- Employment Offer Start Date

Priya_23

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine who is in India is currently in the process of getting a new employment offer from a US Company who has also agreed to apply for his H1B via premium processing (either tomorrow or Monday).

Obviously, he still needs to get the H1B approved by INS and then go to the local US Consulate to get a VISA stamp which together might take a month or so. So we are wondering what should the start date be on his employment offer letter. The reason we are concerned is cos we are wondering if there are any Immigration laws that require that a candidate enters the US within a certain timeframe (#of months) from the start date mentioned in the offer letter?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Priya_23

Generally one must start working for the petioning employer within 60 days. Note also that one cannot enter 10 days prior to the start date.

What if I am changing the status from F1 to H1 in the U.S.?

Do they have any approximate time or period stated for "some one who is changing the status from F1 to H1B while being present in the U.S."? What if I cannot start working from the start date on the H1B petition for the approved H1 visa, and if I start working for them, say 2-3 weeks after that date, would it result in losing the H1B status because of the delay in the start date of work? How many days or weeks at the most are allowed for the person to start working after the date of approval / start date on H1B petition? - My question is for the case of someone who is changing status to H1B while present in the U.S. (not the case of what the original poster asked - about coming from outside of U.S.)