H1B contracting agencies

kminer

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I've been working as an H1-B for a small company in San Jose, CA for 1 year. I have a very stable position there, but not much room for professional growth, and my employer makes me wait 2 more years before they start the Green Card application process.
Now I have an interesting option of working for Google, but they only want to hire me as a contractor.
I know H1B doesn't allow that, so they said they will use an intermediary contracting firm/agency that would actually hire me; and if after 1yr my performance is satisfactory, Google will hire me on a permanent position.

What I'd like to ask you is:

1. Is this usage of a 3rd party agency OK? What are the implications that will affect me if I am hired by such a contracting agency?
  2. What do contracting agencies tend to do with their employee's visas? Do they sponsor for the Green Card?
  3. What would you do in my place? Work for Google or stay with my current employer?

Thanks a lot for your time, this is a very big decision I have to make.

PS: if this is not the best forum to ask about my issue, which would be a better one?

Waiting 2 more years just to start GC seems like a long time.

>> Is this usage of a 3rd party agency OK?
If you want to join the new company, then you have no other choice. It is OK to us the 3rd party, make sure it is a good company.

>> What are the implications that will affect me if I am hired by such a contracting agency?
They will take a cut (%age) from your hourly rate and pay the rest to you. This is usually called '%age basis'.

>> What do contracting agencies tend to do with their employee's visas?
Not sure what you are asking.

>> Do they sponsor for the Green Card?
Yes, most of them do.

What would you do in my place? Work for Google or stay with my current employer?

If I have to wait for 2 years to file a GC, I would go join some one else, doesn't have to be Google. This is just my opinion.