H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

Dexter

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
Had an interview at chennai consulate and here are the details

F1(CPT) to (First Time)H1B
Interview date 20 th nov - 8:45 to 9:00 am
stood in the line by 8:00 am, was inside by 8:35, paid tts fees by cash and then paid the 4600 rupees DD at the next counter(Write PassPort# and Name at the back of the DD's),you get ur tocken number here, then arranged the dociments in the order written on the notice board at the consulate .. i dont precisely remember it but its like DS156,157 , I797 orginal, I129 and LCA (orginal ) -- i Submitted Attorney Certified Copies, then Paystubs, W2's, Employer Letter, Degree certificates and transcripts --- arranged them and presentesd it at the counter, all my documents were put inot a file and i just got my token number back and i was asked to proceed to the mail hall, i waited in the main hall and my tocken number was called.
Was asked the following Q's
1) Do you work for a University ? -- Yes i Do
2) You Studied In the Same University -- Yes
3) Why did u tranfer -- Lack of funding (I transffered from the univ i Originally came in)
4) wats your Pay? $XXK
5) Wat do u do ? -- I program
6) She asked me about the State i live in and wats my opinion abt it
While asking me the Q's the officer looked at my I797
recent pay stub though i submitted for all months, and worked something on the computer
I was aksed to check all my docs and to go ahead and pay my visa fees.
I went ahead and paid the fees at the counter
Was out by 10:15 am

right now in india i may not befrequently be updating this thread .. but will try

Thanx for all the info on this site

DEX

Thanks for posting. That was very useful.

You didn't take your tax returns (Form-1040) ??? Didn't they ask for it?

Regards.

I did take the 1040, I attached it to my W2, But the Consular officer didnt look into it.

Regards
DEX

Hello Guys, I'm going for fourth time H1 Stamp to chennai.
Scheduled interview at Consulate (I can use the dropbox but, Don't have that much time.)

Do I still have to face the interview ?

- Sean

mvinays,
did the consul ask for previous years W2 and tax returns or did they just look at the most recent one? Were you on bench anytime while on H-1 ? Please reply.

thanks,

mvinays, thanks for the detailed information. what is this TT service? Is it similar to something I heard off like TTSVISAS.COM where you book your interview time and date?

Thanks.

They asked for the W-2s and 1040NRs for all the years I was present in the U.S. I was on F-1 for 3yrs and H-1B for 1.5 yrs. I submitted W-2s and 1040 NRs for 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 (for all the years I was in the U.S.). For 2003, I just submitted the payslips for the whole calendar year (Jan 1, 2003 to Nov 30, 2003)

I was never in a "no-job no-salary" kind of situatioon while I was present in the U.S on a H-1B status. The visa officer particularly asked me this question. I told him that I was never in such a sitution. The bottomline is that the visa officer is trying to check whether you were "out of lawful non-immigrant status".

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by pashwin
mvinays,
did the consul ask for previous years W2 and tax returns or did they just look at the most recent one? Were you on bench anytime while on H-1 ? Please reply.

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Patcha_card
Scheduled interview at Consulate (I can use the dropbox but, Don't have that much time.)

- Sean

Yes, I think you should face the interview which is simple and straightforward. It is very likely that you will get your passport with H-1B visa stamp within 2 days after the interview.

If you apply by drop box, it may take upto 2 weeks or more.
Good luck!

Originally posted by Anindya_72
mvinays, thanks for the detailed information. what is this TT service? Is it similar to something I heard off like TTSVISAS.COM where you book your interview time and date?

Thanks.

You are welcome.

Yes, you are right. It is TT Services from TTSVISAS.COM

H1-B stamping Help Urgent

I dont have w2 for year 1999 in which I was F1 student with a assitantship. I have 1040 form that I got from IRS. I am leaving for India tomorrow and I thought we need w2 and 1040 for the years one is employed under H1. Will I be OK if I take the 1040 only.

Please Help!

Thanks

Hi Koti,
Yes, take xerox copies of 1040NRs. If you dont have them, request IRS for "Tax Return Transcripts". Dont worry if you dont have the 1040 NR for 1999. The visa officer has hardly any time to see the documents in detail. He will flip back and forth quickly and see certain key things. If he asks anything about 1040 NR of 1999 then tell him the truth honestly. It is very likely he wont ask this question. You seem to have almost all the required documents. So you should not have any problem in getting the visa. Be confident and go to Chennai. Since you were never out of lawful non-immigrant status, you should not have a problem.
Good luck!

itok wrote on 4th December 2003 01:14 PM:

I am in a similar boat as you were. I have an appointment scheduled for 16th Dec, and i don't understand 1040NRs being
submitted for visa documentation. You mean the xerox copies of 1040 NRs ?? Or, am i missing something here? I didn't file taxes for 1999 as i was a student and didn't have any significant earnings that year (only 120 dollars). But i have w2s for 2000, 2001 and 2002. I am on h1 in from Feb 2003. I was on PT for 2002 and on CPT from Oct 2001. I have all payslips in 2003.
Do you suggest me going to chennai?? I was never in a situation no job no pay. I was never out of lawful immigrant status.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks for your reply,

Koti

Re: H1-B stamping Help Urgent

You will need 1040 NRs and W-2s for all the years you were employed in the US on a H-1B status as well as F-1 status.

If you dont have the W-2 for 1999 during which you were employed for assistantship as an F-1 student, request your university to give you a W-2 for 1999. They should be able to fax you a new copy of W-2 for 1999 from their records.

Good luck!

Originally posted by gcbeku
I dont have w2 for year 1999 in which I was F1 student with a assitantship. I have 1040 form that I got from IRS. I am leaving for India tomorrow and I thought we need w2 and 1040 for the years one is employed under H1. Will I be OK if I take the 1040 only.

Please Help!

Thanks

h1 and h4 at chennai consulate

Hi guys,

I have scheduled an appointment with the chennai consulate for my H1B(->From F1 and OPT) and my wife(fiancee) for her H4.
1. Do I need to produce work experience letters from previous employers and the recommendation letters from my current and previous co-workers?
2. Also I don't have my 1040 forms with me though I have my w2's for previous years. Is is advisable to get them from IRS.
3. For bank statements- is it okay if take a statement from my bank stating my current balance etc or should it reflect all the trasactions?

Thanks in advance..

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Patcha_card

- Sean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I think you should face the interview which is simple and straightforward. It is very likely that you will get your passport with H-1B visa stamp within 2 days after the interview.

If you apply by drop box, it may take upto 2 weeks or more.
Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mvinays, Thanks for the reply.
I have my H-1 (I-797) valid until 04/20/2004, Will this be a problem in getting the visa?

Thanks,
Sean

Sean,
This should not be a problem at all! The visa officer will issue a visa valid till 04/20/2004.

Good luck!

------------------------------------------

mvinays, Thanks for the reply.
I have my H-1 (I-797) valid until 04/20/2004, Will this be a problem in getting the visa?

Thanks,
Sean

Hey Guys,
I have a appointment for my H1 revalidation visa stamping at Chennai on Jan 6th. If anybody have gone for similar one plz post ur experiences. I was told that they need pictures of the current company we are working in . Like the inside and outside pictures of the building etc. Is it true??

Thanks
inUSA2000