H-IB visa transfer

ahmada111

he folks,
   I am currently on H-1B visa on the basis of research in cardiology in one hospital. am starting residency in July in a different hospital. i was wondering if I can transfer this visa to residency without passing step-3.
                  thanks a lot

No Title

Hi ahmada111,
I understand that you secured H1B as a researcher through a hospital. Is it possible to secure H1B through a private practicing physician as a researcher? Please give any info? do you know of any experienced lawyers who dealt this before? I greatly appreciate your input, my wife is USMLE certified, some of the hospitals she interviewed were willing to do a H1 to H1 transfer, but not a fresh H1.

Regards,
Mr. T
kirantirumal@hotmail.com

No Title

Ahmada,
I believe you have to have passed your Step 3 to get an H1 for residency. The logic for this is as follows:
H1 is a work visa and not a student visa. During residency, you undergo training. However, if you have passed your step 3 AND obtained registration from your state, only then can you get the work visa as a professional.
Best thing to do is take step 3 as soon as possible.
My wife is in identical situation- has H1 and wants H1 for residency.
Its hard to find hospitals that sponsor H1, isn\'t it? Also most hospitals don\'t know how easy H1 transfer is and have got burnt in the past due to delays and don\'t want anything to do with H1. Sad.
MJ1