Green card through marriage ( living abroad )

Yosef

I am asking on behave of my friend.
He is wondering if he get the green card through marriage and then go back to his home country to work for two or three years because he has good job there. Is he going to lose his green card while he abroad for three years? Also is he going to get citizenship while he abroad? Thank you.

He is wondering if he get the green card through marriage and then go back to his home country to work for two or three years because he has good job there. Is he going to lose his green card while he abroad for three years? Also is he going to get citizenship while he abroad? Thank you.

Yes,he will lose his green card, unless he gets a re-entry permit and for longer than 2 years needs to renew it. Applications and biometrics need to take place in the US.
No, he can’t get citizenship abroad, there are physical presence and continuous presence requirements that are more onerous than those needed just to keep a green card. An absence of longer than 6 months basically resets his 3-year clock. Also he will need to do removal of conditions on green card after 2 years and that needs to happen in the US. I presume his wife will be going with him to his home country? If not it will be very difficult to convince them that the marriage is genuine at that stage and he will again risk losing his green card then, but now for different reasons.

I suggest your friend do a lot of internet searching and reading on the uscis pages on maintaining permanent residence, abandoning permanent residence, and physical and continuous presence requirements for naturalization. A green card has significant requirements that you need to fulfill to keep it.

Inform your friend the green card is called Permanent Resident Card.. meaning he has to live in the US permanently. If he has a good job overseas, he can be petitioned later by his US-domiciled spouse when he is ready to move permanently to the US.

Maintaining a green card and US citizenship-eligibility requires physical presence in the US. He can join the forum once his overseas assignment is complete to seek advice.