Green Card holder Receiving Unemployment benifits

NTGuy

Hi, I have a special case I think, wondering if someone can help me. I came to the US on H1B, got married to a US citizen, filed for GC through spouse. My company recently laid me off coz of downsizing (My passport will be stamped this wednesday 5/8/02). I filled for Unemployment benifits, is it illegal to receive Unemployment benifits from State when you are a conditional PR through marriage ? Please help me as I don\'t want to do anything illegal and put my PR in jeopardy.

Thank you so much.

Talk to local ESC office

They will look at a few things like duration of employment; if you file in the current year and you are layed off and actively seeking jobs and are ready to take up jobs. Once that eligibility is met, they check your state id like drivers\' license and the GC. They will want copies of the same and they will call INS and check your Alien number and receipt number for validation. This is where you may have a problem, if you do not have them on the passport.

Clarify with local Employment Securities Commission office via email or phone and explain the situation before actually filing the benefit application.