Green Card holder - Domestic violence, need advice

Goundamani

Hello, I am from India and came to US on student visaF1 in 2003, then started working on H1B and now green card . I got my green card in Jan 2012. I have been married since Dec 2010, my spouse got her green card through me. We have had some marital issues lately. An argument led to my wife going crazy and throwing things in the house, I grabbed her arms and still she wouldn't stop, then I hit her on the cheek. Then she went to garb her phone to call the police and I stopped her by holding her arms. I guess there were reddish marks on her arms and her face was also red by the time police came. They took photos of her and arrested me. I was released next day and charged with simple assault misdemeanor. State I live in is Michigan. I now have pre trial on Jan 8th. No contact order as well.

This is my first offense, I have a clean record.

What complicates my case is that a week prior to this incident, we had an argument and I just left the house. My wife thought that I was going to commit suicide and called the police. By the time I came home (in about 30-40 mins) the police had arrived. They talked to me and took me to the hospital to make sure I was not suicidal. The hospital cleared me immediately and sent me home in a couple of hours.

Another incident was 1 year ago, again my wife and I had an argument and she called the police. The police came and examined both of us, they did not find anything except some property damage. They asked me to leave the house and come back next day once my wife cooled down. They noted it as a disturbance.

My wife and I are going to marriage counciling and I have started going to individual therapy after this incident. I love my wife and I do not mean to harm her. I know she loves me too. However she is very angry and I do not know if she will press charges or withdraw the case. I will also be starting community service before my court date.

Please advice, I am very worried and having sleepless nights. Will I be convicted, deported, etc, etc. I know I can make up with my wife and I love her a lot. This is not who I am. Please help.

Get a very good DV lawyer and make him/her work in conjunction with an immigration lawyer. You should not accept any pleas without being 100% it's safe. First of all your wife should cooperate but even she does not want to press charges the DA might. The rules changes from state to state and if you get a minor conviction you would be safe.

Also if you guys are like that best to separate IMO.