Green Card for Sibling

jamesbrown2009

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

My mother will be a USC on oct. 24th. We are planning on bringing my sisters and brother to the US. They are all over 21 and unmarried.

Is it possible to file for them to though my mother since she will become a USC in a few weeks?.

Thanks
James

Your mother can actually petition for them now, as a permanent resident, and they will be in the F2B category (unmarried over-21 child of permanent resident). Once your mother is a citizen, they will be in the F1 category (unmarried over-21 child of citizen). These two categories have pretty much the same wait times (for some countries F1 is currently slightly ahead of F2B, for some countries F2B is slightly ahead of F1). The only real advantage to your mother becoming a citizen is that if the children get married afterwards, it won't kill the petition -- there is no category for married children of permanent residents, whereas married children of citizens is in the F3 category, but F3 is a lot slower than F1 so it's still best if they don't get married.

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on H1B in a MNC , My sister is a US Citizen and wanted to know if I wanted to understand the family based GC sponsorship .

1) is my sister eligible to sponsor a family based GC (F4) for me?
2) is GC process same for family sponsor GC (F4) and employer sponsor GC (EB1 /EB2)?
3) How does family sponsor GC (F4) process works? Will I get I-140 after labor clearance as part of F4 GC process? same as EB1/EB2 process?
4) Am I eligible to work /switch to other employer during the process of family sponsor (F4) GC? if yes when can I switch to other employer without impacting this F4 GC process?
5) Multiple GC process allowed? that means can I start family sponsor (F4) GC process and employer sponsor GC (EB1/EB2) ? since I am not sure whether my employer will sponsor the GC or not hence I wanted to choose Family sponsor (F4) GC.

Kindly let me know if anyone has any details and appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on H1B in a MNC , My sister is a US Citizen and wanted to know if I wanted to understand the family based GC sponsorship .

1) is my sister eligible to sponsor a family based GC (F4) for me?
2) is GC process same for family sponsor GC (F4) and employer sponsor GC (EB1 /EB2)?
3) How does family sponsor GC (F4) process works? Will I get I-140 after labor clearance as part of F4 GC process? same as EB1/EB2 process?
4) Am I eligible to work /switch to other employer during the process of family sponsor (F4) GC? if yes when can I switch to other employer without impacting this F4 GC process?
5) Multiple GC process allowed? that means can I start family sponsor (F4) GC process and employer sponsor GC (EB1/EB2) ? since I am not sure whether my employer will sponsor the GC or not hence I wanted to choose Family sponsor (F4) GC.

Kindly let me know if anyone has any details and appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Multiple people can petition you at the same time; they do not conflict. Family-based petition is I-130, not I-140, and labor certification is not involved. Your sister can file a petition for you at any time. Note that the F4 category has a wait for visa numbers of 13+ years for people born in most countries (14 years for people born in India; 20 years for people born in Mexico; 23+ years for people born in the Philippines). You will likely no longer be on H1b by the time a visa number becomes available in F4. Another possibility, if you are unmarried and will remain unmarried, is for your sister to petition one or both of your parents to immigrate, and immediately after a parent immigrates, for the parent to petition you, as an unmarried over-21 child of a permanent resident, in the F2B category. The wait is faster that way if you are born anywhere except Mexico, but it will require one of your parents to move to the US, and for you to remain unmarried for many years.

Multiple people can petition you at the same time; they do not conflict. Family-based petition is I-130, not I-140, and labor certification is not involved. Your sister can file a petition for you at any time. Note that the F4 category has a wait for visa numbers of 13+ years for people born in most countries (14 years for people born in India; 20 years for people born in Mexico; 23+ years for people born in the Philippines). You will likely no longer be on H1b by the time a visa number becomes available in F4. Another possibility, if you are unmarried and will remain unmarried, is for your sister to petition one or both of your parents to immigrate, and immediately after a parent immigrates, for the parent to petition you, as an unmarried over-21 child of a permanent resident, in the F2B category. The wait is faster that way if you are born anywhere except Mexico, but it will require one of your parents to move to the US, and for you to remain unmarried for many years.

Thanks for the details, I was born in India and married . staying with spouse and kid in USA on H1B visa. So my sister can sponsor F4 GC for entire family ? or only for me?

Thanks for the details, I was born in India and married . staying with spouse and kid in USA on H1B visa. So my sister can sponsor F4 GC for entire family ? or only for me?
Your sister can petition you. Your spouse and children (under 21 and unmarried) at the time you immigrate can also immigrate as derivative beneficiaries.