Green card for my parents outside US

Hi, my parents live outside of US. As a US citizen I plan to sponsor them in a green card application. They intend to live abroad until and if they receive their cards. How fast do they need to come to US after they receive the cards? If they have a very strong reason, can they stay outside for about 6 months from the moment their card is approved and then come over?


Well-Known Member
They will not receive a green card outside the US. They will receive a US immigrant visa, which is usually valid for 6 months. They need to enter the US any time during the validity of the immigrant visa, and when they enter, they will automatically become US permanent residents, and will get green cards.