Green Card FAQ: Read first before posting

ari4u

Registered Users (C)
If you are seeing this message, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD YET.

Answers to most of the questions asked here have been discussed to death over a million times and i think this is the point one gets tired of giving the same answer over and over and decides to writes up a FAQ for all questions (dumb or not).

Please dont post in this thread yet as it will take me a while to scour this forum and gather all the information i need. I have been very very busy lately and will be so for a while, so i will definitely count on your help. I know you all have bookmarked a lot of useful threads here which are now buried deep down somewhere. So please PM or email me those links and i will update this FAQ. I will appreciate all the help i can get, so it saves everyone's time answering questions which have been repeatedly answered before. Meanwhile, i will try to split up FAQ for each section into a separate thread so it makes easier to talk on a specific subject. I started off with the I-693, but got really busy after that. Thanks for your understanding. Given my current work schedule, this FAQ is going to take a while to get ready, so please bear with me till then.

For starters, i have used the content from the AOS interview Timeline thread and this will change with your help over a period of time. Once ready, this will become a sticky.

New to Immigration?
1. USCIS Website
2. USCIS Abbreviations and Lingo ==> here
3. NBC: National Benefits Center: FAQ
4. What is the LockBox ?
5. Department Of State Visa Bulletin

Getting Ready to File?
1. USCIS Official Forms and Fees ==> here
2. Editable USCIS PDF forms: ==> here (thanks Piyalove!) (use at your own risk)
3. Sample cover letters are attached with this post. Modify to suit your requirement. Always check USCIS website for correct fees.
4. FAQ: I-693 - Medical Examination. Look==>here
5. Ready for your medical? Find a Civil Surgeon ==> here
6. General information on immigration forms ==> here
7. General assembling instructions for your AOS package ==> here and here
8. Not sure if you should submit original or photocopy of a document? Look ==> here
9. Not sure where to send your completed application? Look ==> here
10. Which Service Center does what? Which USCIS office handles what applicaitons? ==> here

After You File:
1. Got your receipt numbers? Check your case status online ==> here
2. What do ASC Codes on your NOA mean?
3. What do USCIS case status messages mean?
4. EAD approval timeline: ==> here.
5. AP Usage Statistics ==> here
6. Planning a visit to your DO? Get INFOPASS appt ==>here
7. Got your EAD and dont have SSN? You can apply ==> here
8. Moved to a new address? Look here

Getting ready for your AOS interview?
1. MUST READ: Interview FAQ. Attached with this post. (Thanks Spaceman!)
2. AOS Interview Experiences: ==> here

Stuck in FBI namecheck/background check/security check?
1. FBI NameCheck Threads ==> 1, 2, 3

General Reading

1. For a list of codes related to "Class of Admission", look at attached document
2. I-485-Standard Operating Procedures(PDF) ==> here
3. Delays in issuing SSNs to aliens by the Social Security Administration ==> here
4. Last Name First, No Joking Matter! Read ==> here
5. Visa Reciprocity and Country Documents Finder ==> here
6. Are you out of status? ==> Look here

If you are seeing this message, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD YET.