Green Card approval reviewed at Naturalization interview? additional scrutiny?

greencardin2005

Registered Users (C)
I read that there seems to be additional scrutiny during the naturalization interview recently and it could include reviewing the green card approval for employment based applicants. I have heard rumors that someone was asked for pay stubs going back past 10 years!
Those who interviewed recently, did the IO go over the info on your N-400 only ( past 5 years work history) or did they question you about your GC approval too?
Would greatly appreciate if you could please share your experience.

Last edited:
Please understand that the EB green card approval (I-140) is for future employment.
So if you got your EB GC then your employer had successfully demonstrated that the work you are going to be doing will happen.
The reason why they may look at past 5 years of employment is to establish that you worked in the same field for which the GC was approved.

If you did not, the be prepared to provide reasons (lay-offs, employer shutting down the doors etc).

If you did work in the same field albeit a different employer, no worries.

Please understand that the EB green card approval (I-140) is for future employment.
So if you got your EB GC then your employer had successfully demonstrated that the work you are going to be doing will happen.
The reason why they may look at past 5 years of employment is to establish that you worked in the same field for which the GC was approved.

If you did not, the be prepared to provide reasons (lay-offs, employer shutting down the doors etc).

If you did work in the same field albeit a different employer, no worries.

Being questioned about the 5 years of employment on the N-400 is expected. I am wondering if they go back into the GC journey beyond the 5 years? For many of us the GC journey has been a long journey. It just helps to be prepared if they bring up , lets say hypothetically, the last 10 years during the interview.

[If you did not, the be prepared to provide reasons (lay-offs, employer shutting down the doors etc).
.[/QUOTE]

How does it impact someone who got a GC as a Software Engineer but later moved onto a Business Analyst or Project Manager position? Would that be considered as NOT working in the same field?

Since green card is for future employment, your employment before GC hold litte value except to prove that you can carry on the responsibility of the job you got the GC for. But those requirements, I would imagine, were provided by your employer and accepted by USCIS as satisfactory for your I140 to be approved.

Now, if you voluntarily sitched from IT to management (still related to IT) you would be okay. That's because you can demonstrate that your experience in IT field helped you in managing a team.
Additionally, you can also demonstrate the validity of the switch by showing you are making more money by being in management.

Since green card is for future employment, your employment before GC hold litte value except to prove that you can carry on the responsibility of the job you got the GC for. But those requirements, I would imagine, were provided by your employer and accepted by USCIS as satisfactory for your I140 to be approved.

Now, if you voluntarily sitched from IT to management (still related to IT) you would be okay. That's because you can demonstrate that your experience in IT field helped you in managing a team.
Additionally, you can also demonstrate the validity of the switch by showing you are making more money by being in management.

Thank you RunninSloth. Very helpful reply.