Green Card appln Status Current DV Case pending

InDilemma

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was arrested for a DV misdemenour and I am on probation for 2 years. I have applied for Green card and it is pending. Now in the July 2010 Visa bulletin, I see that my I-485 application date is current. What is the impact on Green Card when the case is still pending? Are there chances of deportation?

Thanks in advance.

Update: Now our case has been transfered to the National benefits center. I heard that this typically happens if something comes up in your back ground check. Can someone please advise me on what can be done if I am called for an interview? Anyone been in such a situation where your case is still pending and your Green Card application priority date is current? I am on a probation for 2 years and I have 15 months of the probation still remaining.

I am not a lawyer, I think
PADILLA v . KENTUCKY
certiorari to the supreme court of kentucky
No. 08–651. Argued October 13, 2009 —Decided March 31, 2010

Is what you should ask a competent lawyer to interpret for you.

you tell the truth... that is what you do, nothing more, nothing less. If anything, you might have to fill out a waiver. Most assaults, do not make you subject to deportation.

Got a notice today that the we need to appear at local office for interview. Can someone please recommend a good immigration/criminal defense attorney in the bay area? Can I get the interview postponed? What are the consequences if I get the interview postponed?

You don't need a lawyer, go in a see what they have to say. What do you think that taking a lawyer with you would do? It isn't like that his being there will do anything, CIS employees aren't scared of attornies. You can delay the meeting, but that will make the officer think that you are hiding something, and just piss them off. Whatever you do, don't lie.... BTW, if you are on probation, your DV case isn't pending, it is completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My DV case status still shows up as open. I entered what is called a Stipulated Order of Continuance (SOC) where I had to complete 50 hours community service, attend DV classes for 6 months and the period of the SOC is 2 years. After 2 years this case will be marked as dismissed. So I am not sure I can say if the case is completed since I still have 15 months before my case is dismissed.

You still have to tell CIS about your arrest. Read the form, it states have you ever been arrested and etc. If you hide it from them and they find out you're going to have problems. Stop being a jerk and man up to your crime.