• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Green Card and Pregnancy

Aussiemika

Hoping for some advice as not too sure where to start.
Some background first. Family of 3, we won the DV Lottery in 2017 and completed our activation trip last month. Have already received or SSN’s and Green Cards.
We close on a house on the 11th of July and plan to relocate to it once we sell our house in Australia, so with any luck by September this year.
Are relocating without jobs but with the intention to find work once settled.
Now the bombshell. We have just found out my wife is pregnant. Totally unplanned and unexpected. We are both in our early 40s so it has come as a shock!
This has put a huge question on our move to the States and brings up the following I’m seeking guidance on;
- To have the baby in the US or Australia?
We have health insurance in Australia, first pregnancy was a C-Section, high probability of this one being the same. We would go private here again with our own obstetrician etc. All in cost around $6k last time.
We currently do not have insurance in the states. I’m assuming this would be a pre-existing condition and not covered over there on a new policy?
Would we qualify as residents for any form of free health cover?
- If baby is born in Australia, do we need to apply for a green card for it?
- If baby born in US, I’m assumjng it’s a US citizen?

Any suggestions on what the best option is?

One of the main points about Obamacare was that (still is) that insurance companies cannot refuse to cover, or charge more, for pre-existing conditions. So - if you have the baby here, you will get Obamacare and it's covered. Get a "good" plan with low deductibles.

Now - if you stay in Aus for the birth, your child will be processed at the airport for a Green Card. It is a simple process for returning residents who are returning for the first time since the baby was born.

Just pay attention to the dates to make sure you don't expect to travel when not allowed (last trimester typically), and don't blow the 1 year absence.