Granted Asylum

Keerat Singh

Hi there,
I have granted asylum from 1996 and filed I-485 in April-98 in California. Then I moved to different state and filed transfer. Last year my local INS office confirmed successful transfer of my application. I go to INS office every three months for status check. Every time they have different answer for me. It is very frustrating. I recently got married with H1B visa holder.

What shall I do to get GC ? Any help will be appreciated ...Thanks

No Title

Keerat,

I assume you originally filed your asylee I-485 at a distric INS office. Did you ever get a receipt?
 How did the INS office at your new location acknowledge that your case is successfully transfered? Did they give you a receipt or told you verbally?
  Yes, I can also vouch to having communication problems with some INS officers. Some of them are very inexpereinced and have very little knowledge of asylee adjustment matters.

Get a written receipt from your local INS office acknowledging that your case was successfully transfered (don\'t take their word for it because you may not see the same officer again at your next visit).

The Whitehouse recently released the annual asylee adjustment numbers for FY2002 so the INS will announce the next cut-off-date soon. I think your batch will be in it this time. Don\'t get your hopes too high though because they will perhaps call you for an interview and then tell you to wait again until you receive a letter to come in for passport/I-94 stamping.
  Speaking from my own personal experience and others\' experiences it takes about 5 to 6 years to get asylee green card these days.
 Since you have already received your H1B1 why don\'t you ask your employer if they are willing to sponsor you for an employment greencard. Then ask a lawyer if you need to go through job advertisement, labor certification, etc again.

Thanks for your reply.

Your are right,they have just told me verbally. From original filling in california..I did receive receipt from INS. They just told me that your case has been transferred but there is no written notice from local INS office. As per your suggestion I will contact them to get receipt of my case transfer. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Is there any way we can find out,when INS has released asylee adjustment number for FY2002 ? Any web site or telephone number ???

Little clarification for H1B question. I said \'I just got married with H1B visa holder\' Means my wife have H1B status. How does her status benefit me or Is there anyway her status can help me to get Green Card ?

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

No Title

Hi Keerat,

You may want to send a certified letter to your local INS district office inquiring about the status of your case. If they are not too terribly busy they will reply you with a generic reply letter saying it takes "xx months to xx months" to process such application etc. That letter will be a written proof that your case is at the local INS office.

Read Alanpero\'s posting in this forum. The Presidential Determination for FY2002 refugee admission numbers + asylee adjustment number was released on November 21 2001. The ball is now in INS\'s court: they will soon determine the asylee adjustment cut-off-date for FY2002.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I thought you are the H1B holder.
Has your wife come to the stage where her employer will sponsor her for an employment green card? If that is the case ask your wife\'s lawyer if you can apply for dependent green card, be sure to tell the lawyer your current immigration status is an asylee and that you have an I-485 application pending.
  In my opinion I don\'t think it\'s necessary for you to convert your status before the green card filing. Asylee status benefits are better that those of H4. But if you are in doubt please consult with a lawyer because I am not a licensed immigration law practitioner.

Good Luck

Thanks

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply and valuable information. I will follow-up with local INS office for the status of my case.

I also looked at Alanpero\'s document. There is no such date information available means what application dates they will process asylee\'s adjustment. Is there any web-site or document in this matter ???

I will contact my wife\'s lawyer when reach reach to the point to file I-485 with INS.

Thanks again for your help

No Title

That\'s ok. No problem.

The link at Whitehouse.gov Alanpero posted is the official release of the Presidential Determination. It will not give the "cut-off" date. That is INS\'s duty. Visit this forum frequently and check back for someone to post the "cut-off" date.

Good luck with everything.

No Title

Dear Jack and Alan,

Some update for you guys and to all my friends out there. I have applied for un-conditional SS card few week back in SS administration office and they didn\'t ask any questions or anything. Thay simply looked at my granted ayslum approval notice with I-94 and told me that you will get it in two week. Which I received in a week time. Pretty good isn\'t it. I am very happy about this.

To begin with I got all this information from your web site and followed through and it works for me.

I would like to thank you guys for all your help.

Thanks again

Keerat

No Title

Yeah, we are happy to know that things at SS offices have much improved since people like myself and Alanpero went there 6 months ago.

Good for you