got IL and DESCHEDULE letter !!! (Durham, NC)

Washburn27

Registered Users (C)
well, I'm Washburn1 from NC, but my account has somehow been DEactivated :) and now I'm Washburn 27

so today I get this IL dated 8/4/08 and another letter dated 8/5/08 (yep, ONE day afterwards) saying it has been "descheduled":
Here's the letter's wording:
This is to advise you to, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled interview on [date with lots of white space] at [time with some white space] for the above applicant. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

We will advise you of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice

I applied to TSC in March, had FP in Charlotte on 4/11, and this Interview was scheduled (and DEscheduled) at Durham DO.

so, is this a bad sign, or a neutral/good sign?
Does that mean that at least my name check is ok?
should I call USCIS and ask for an IO?
or should I schedule an Infopass?

btw, USCIS online status shows no change; same as when I applied. but this hardly means anything, I think, because I've read here that some people's status never changed OR vanished even after they became citizens...

In any case I'm gonna wait a few months and see if I get another letter...from what I've read here, it can be as simple as staffing problems..(?)

DID ANYONE ELSE FROM NC / DURHAM EXPERIENCE THE SAME THING?
IS IT WEIRD THAT THE LETTERS ARE ONLY ONE DAY APART?
Thanks a lot, guys.

Thanks a lot,

Last edited by a moderator:
Washburn,

This is very common. Nothing to worry about unless you had a trip planned and you wanted to become USC as soon as possible. My wife's I-485 interview got descheduled back on April 1st this year. The letter said the same wordings as yours. "Due to unforseen circumstances bla bla". It has been over 4 months now since the interview was canceled but just a few days back upon infopass iquiry I was told that my wife's background check/name check was just completed on July 29th and she is now in que for the interview. I am hoping to receive a rescheduled IL sometime this month (keeping my fingers crossed).
Lot of times the interview get scheduled before the file is ready to be transferred to the local office. I have a feeling that your background check must be still pending. Short of staff could also be one of the reasons, who knows. Like Bobsmyth suggested, give USCIS about 4 weeks and schedule an infopass to find out what's happening. In my case, I did an infopass back in May and that's when I was told that my wife's background check is not complete.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, guys.
I guess like you guys say, this could be neutral (name check still pending, IL letter was an error; everything's still the same), or: good (name check actually finished; IV canceled due to staffing/whatever)...
either way, it's at least not negative...

I will take your advise and do an infopass at Durham in a month or two...I might find something out.

Thanks again, everybody.
Bobsmyth: good luck with the upcoming interview.

Thanks Washburn..just under 3 weeks now..time sure does fly. I'm really hoping to be part of that Sept 5th oath ..let's see what happens.

NOTE: after I posted this, there were 4 more people (all Durham DO) who had the same thing happen, and all their ILs were between Oct 20th-Nov3rd; if anyone else gets the same thing, please post here so we can keep them all together...
Thanks.

You'll be fine - seems to me this was a case of overbooking on USCIS's part. However, this doesn't take the sting away from the fact that they just delayed your interview date.

NOTE: after I posted this, there were 4 more people (all Durham DO) who had the same thing happen, and all their ILs were between Oct 20th-Nov3rd; if anyone else gets the same thing, please post here so we can keep them all together...
Thanks.

DO is doing some remodeling.

well, I'm Washburn1 from NC, but my account has somehow been DEactivated :) and now I'm Washburn 27

I don't see "washburn1" in the banned users list, and it does show up as an active account. Are you sure you got the password correct?

Was the descheduled interview fairly imminent? Could it be that the DO didn't receive your file in time to conduct the interview? Thats the most common reason. Beyond that, I expect some sort of staffing issue came up.

I just couldn't get in; it kept saying wrong user ID/password match; I got a new pass word emailed, and still couldn't get in; so I just re-registered; (it never said I was banned; I used the word "DEactivated" in jest, due to the nature of the topic; i.e.: "descheduling" of my interview :) sorry for the confusion);
You can go ahead and delete Washburn-1 if you like. Thanks a lot.

The interview Letter showed appt on Oct 24th 08, and the letter was issued 8/4; deschedule letter was dated the next day, 8/5.
so no, there was still ample time to receive the file; (that's what I think; i don't know how early they want the file to be there before the interview)

I can imagine that being the problem if the IV was canceled close to the actual appt. but it's about 2 months away, and was cancelled 1 day after the issuing of the IL.

Here is an example

Washburn,

Our interview for I-485 was scheduled in the last week of March for May 13th but then exactly a week later got a letter from USCIS saying that the interview has been canceled due to unforseen circumstances. If you think about it USCIS had about approx 6 weeks to transfer the file to my local DO, but upon infopass inquiry in May we came to know that somehow my wife's background check/investigation was not complete and we were asked to wait good couple of months. We gave USCIS 3 months just to be on the safe side and did another infopass last week and found out that she was recently cleared with all the checks and is now in que for the interview. Hoping to receive an IL sometime by end of this month.
I hope yours has nothing to do with any background checks. If it's simple an overstaffing issue, your next IL should be on it's way pretty soon.

Thanks, AB.
I'm really not too worried about it right now, although I find it interesting that it happened to 4 of us (5 incl. me) for IVs scheduled within the period of 20th Oct - 3rd Nov @ the same D.O.

...anyway, I think I'll just wait and (try to) be patient.

could be. hope so.
Now the tally is 6 people. someone else just posted with the same thing in the other thread (Raleigh/Durham thread): same period, same back to back letters, same DO.
...mystery deepens.

Interview descheduled

First FP 10/12/2006
Second FP on 7/13/2008
Received the IL on 8/6/08
Received interview descheduled letter on 8/6/2008
Durham DO

Infopass details : Cancelled ILs.

Per Washburn's request, here is a copy of my earlier post.

Hello,

I had scheduled an infopass today to obtain more information about the scheduling and descheduling of interviews.

The officer was very kind and answered all the questions patiently. She said that the descheduling happened due to understaffing. They are training people to be able to take in more interviews. She also mentioned that there were no problems with name check/FBI check, all those have been cleared with no issues and that is why they sent the first interview letter.

According to her, within the next 90 days of the previous letter, they will send out another IL. When asked about what PD they are processing, she was unable to answer. She reiterated that another interview letter should be coming our ways in 90 days.

Washburn, incase you have anymore updates, please pass along.
Hope we all get ILs before the 90 days.
If at all any solace, within the 10 minutes i was there in the building, I saw like 15 people with interview letters, asked to proceed to second floor. :)

Good luck all.
Murali

SHIT! I was hoping this damn descheduling "burst" has ended!
sorry, man. at least you know this is the only step you need now.