Got back from India using I-551 stamp

this_processing_kills_me

Registered Users (C)
I just got back from my 2.5 week long vacation in Delhi, India. This was my first (and hopefully last) trip using the I-551 stamp in my passport (my GC has yet to arrive). I flew Lufthansa, via Munich. I had obtained a pretty useless airport transit visa as well (read further below)

Departure from SFO:
The Lufthansa official, after seeing no valid return US visa, asked me if I was a GC holder. I informed her that it had been approved, was due anytime now in the mail, and that I had got the 551 stamp for now. She looked at the stamp and OKed me.

Transit in Munich (enroute to Delhi): No one looked at the passport. I had to change the gates because of a different connecting flight. They only looked at the new boarding pass.

Arrival in Delhi: The official searched in vain for a valid US visa. Pointed him to the stamp. He didn't care much (either he had seen a lot of 551s before or he had no clue what it meant). No problems here.

Departure from Delhi: Had to repeat the same thing - "GC has been approved. Have not received it yet. I have the 551 stamp. It's right here..". I chanted this mantra twice -- once for the lufthansa official, and the other for the immigration.

Transit in Munich (enroute to SFO): This time, one question was asked. "How long will you be in USA?" -- I repeated my mantra, and added "I am a permanent resident there". Basically, they care for some kind of date that tells them how long I am allowed to stay in the US. I-551 stamp has a date, so the officer was content. The airport transit visa was never looked at. But better be safe than sorry. The visa wasn't looked at for my wife either who was using her AP.

Arrival in USA: The stamp is well recognized here. The officer did ask me, however, things like who sponsored my GC, what the company does etc etc No sweat here.

_this

sunny_sunday said:
You were asked about your sponsering employer. Can it be a problem if you change job after getting GC at POE ?

Not sure about that. As far I understand they ask those questions just to check whether the I-551 is stamp is not fraud or not. I don't think they ask about employer to check if you are still working with them or not. However, that's is just my guess. In the worst case, they can do an enquiry, but GC revoking is not easy and I don't think POE officer can do it upfront without good reason (POE officer is BCBP employee, not USCIS).
Just to be in safe side, don't volunteer any information.
1. If officer asks for "sponsoring employer", give sponsoring employer's name (you don't need to tell current employer's name).
2. If officer ask "who is your employer?", tell your current employer's name (you don't need to tell "sponsoring" employer's name).

this_processing_killsMe said:
I just got back from my 2.5 week long vacation in Delhi, India. This was my first (and hopefully last) trip using the I-551 stamp in my passport (my GC has yet to arrive).

Departure from Delhi: Had to repeat the same thing - "GC has been approved. Have not received it yet. I have the 551 stamp. It's right here..". I chanted this mantra twice -- once for the lufthansa official, and the other for the immigration.

An encouraging story. I am in London right now returning home to CA next week on United. I hope they are as familiar with the stamp... but I anticipate some explaining. My wife got her GC one week before we flew, and my infant daughters are USC, and we are traveling together. My GC is in my mailbox back at home (I hope. It was mailed to me two days before we flew).

Last edited by a moderator: