Got asked my citizenship in the US citizens passport control line

tangodancer

Registered Users (C)
I'm a dual citizen, UK/USA, and have traveled back and forth between England and the States many times since getting my US passport, never a big deal. But this weekend my wife and I are in the US Citizens line at LAX, get to the officer, we give him our US passports and he looks at them, chatting to us about our flight and then he looks at me and says: "and what is your citizenship, Sir?". Um, trick question?! Of course I said USA and he barely even listened but I've never had that happen before.

It doesn't bother me at all, just thought I would share the experience for your entertainment and amusement. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Paul.

I've been asked if I was a dual citizen upon entry in Minneapolis. He didn't seem very happy when I said "yes", but there is not much he could do about it.

What is their problem? Not everyone has a simple life/familial ties -they scorn b/c they don't realize how lucky some are to have family, hearts, etc in more than one place..it does not mean you are disloyal to one or the other.

The problem is that there is little consistency within CBP officer community - one may not mind your second citizenship at all while another one may not like it. Thankfully, they cannot go further than not liking it, as it is explicitly allowed by the Dept of State.

Ahhhhh - as of this week I am a Dual Citizen of the USA and the UK - and proudly so for both of my homes! If anyone has a problem with it well - continue having your problem. I feel fantastic.

I too am a dual citizen of the UK and the USA. I used my US passpart to travel for the first time a few days ago to Canada (Vancouver). On my return (US immigration is in the Vancouver airport) I got asked how long I had been away for and the purpose of my trip abroad. I'm not sure if this kind of questioning is common for US citizens. I did not see what relevance how long I had been out was since I'm no longer a GC holder. But anyway that was it and I was admitted in after that.

On my return (US immigration is in the Vancouver airport) I got asked how long I had been away for and the purpose of my trip abroad. I'm not sure if this kind of questioning is common for US citizens. I did not see what relevance how long I had been out was since I'm no longer a GC holder.
CBP asks all kinds of questions returning US citizens just to fish out some possible inconsistencies and refer a person to secondary inspection. This practice exists only in Anglo countries and is pretty much annoying to me, but there is little we can do...

I'm not sure if this kind of questioning is common for US citizens. I did not see what relevance how long I had been out was since I'm no longer a GC holder.

I've been asked that numerous times by Canadian and US customs as a citizen, permanent resident and non-immigrant.