Good time to send N-400 Application

Marais

Registered Users (C)
I was told that even though the eligibility says we can send the application 90 days prior to 5 years completion, The process will be faster if we send in application after completeion of 5 years, is this correct?

I need to file-in in washington DC area..

My eligibility date, 90 days prior to 5 years completion is july 27 '2009.

I was told that even though the eligibility says we can send the application 90 days prior to 5 years completion, The process will be faster if we send in application after completeion of 5 years, is this correct?

Based on my experience as well as other posters, the speed of processing does not seem to be impacted if you file 90 days in advance. The Interview is normally scheduled once you complete your 5 year anniversary though some folks got it a few days earlier... If I were you, I'll submit my app on July 31st and set the ball rolling!

I don't see why the process should be any faster if you send it in after completion of 5 years. The whole point to allowing up to 90 day grace period is so applicants can get a head start on the process, not so they can be penalized by slower processing.

The process will be faster if we send in application after completeion of 5 years

Marais,

I can't see how that could be so. According to the USCIS site they say they process in the order they are received.

To be on the safe side for counting days though, I suggest you send the application in about 85 days out from the eligibility date. There have been a few stories here of applications being denied or returned because of being a day early depending on how USCIS counted the days.

Personally I would wait until after the 5 year period has passed by about 1 week, then send it in. I like to minimize my chances of problems.

Also when you send it in, make sure you get a green return receipt card for it so it can be tracked if it gets lost. Stories here of that happening too.

Marais,

I can't see how that could be so. According to the USCIS site they say they process in the order they are received.

To be on the safe side for counting days though, I suggest you send the application in about 85 days out from the eligibility date. There have been a few stories here of applications being denied or returned because of being a day early depending on how USCIS counted the days.

Personally I would wait until after the 5 year period has passed by about 1 week, then send it in. I like to minimize my chances of problems.

Also when you send it in, make sure you get a green return receipt card for it so it can be tracked if it gets lost. Stories here of that happening too.

My husband overnighted his N-400 application, 88 days before his 5th anniversary, and did his oath-taking 3 months later. We too were surprised how fast it was. This was in 2008 in Denver, Colorado. Mailed his application on May 18, 2008. Oath-taking was on August 20, 2008.

Good luck!

hey -- i am also filing on same day in DC area -- hope we will also get in 3 months --