Going for Oath - Question on passport

krajan02

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I am going for my oath ceremony on Friday the 25th. In the notice for Oath cereminy N-445 they have provided a list of documents to bring that include the following:

N-445 notice
Permanent Resident Card
Reentry Permit or Travel documents
Any immigration document you may have
passport

My question is I currently have an Indian Passport that i will bring to the interview but do I have to surrender my Indian Passport?
I am planning to apply for an OCI later and though I might need my indian passport for that.

AM i missing something here?

Would appreciate any help

thanks,

-Krish

You are missing the part that it is not even mentioned to bring you passport. :D

To answer your question, I didn't give mine to them and I am sure they don't care. You are responsible for your action.

BTW, does it really say in your Oath letter to bring you passport? Mine said to please dress nice, keep the passport in the safe.

its kinda bizzare. I received two pages. the first page is the formal notice N-445 that says all the standard stuff about dressing nicely etc and also lists all the standard docs like permanent resident card etc but I also have a second page that has in bold letters " Proper Attire must be Worn" etc and also list the same set of document except that here they have listed Passport also as one of the documents to bring.

I will take my pasport but will refuse to surrender it if they insist. Hopefully they will just look at it if necessary and return.

Actually just think about it US has treties with many countries where they support dual citizenship so I am positive they wont take the passport. Also as you said they probably care least about the indian passport.

anyway i will know on Friday :)

-K

As you say they may ask to inspect the passport. But if they confer citizenship on right after the interview, most likely they will take back the GC, because it was issued by them in the first place.

A passport cannot be taken away by the USCIS. Even the country that originally issued a passport cannot take a passport away; they merely cancel it and give it back to you. A passport is merely an identification document and a country will let you keep it as proof of citizenship of that country for future use.

Hi, I am going for my oath ceremony on Friday the 25th. In the notice for Oath cereminy N-445 they have provided a list of documents to bring that include the following:

N-445 notice
Permanent Resident Card
Reentry Permit or Travel documents
Any immigration document you may have
passport

My question is I currently have an Indian Passport that i will bring to the interview but do I have to surrender my Indian Passport?
I am planning to apply for an OCI later and though I might need my indian passport for that.

AM i missing something here?

Would appreciate any help

thanks,

-Krish

No, they will not take your Indian passport. They will look for any foreign stamp on your Indian passport to see if you traveled between interview date and oath date.

Congratulations!!

Actually a passport always belongs to the issuing country. It never belongs to the holder.

that's true. it is property of your home country's government. but just they can simply cancel it and return it you or take it away after you become a US citizen. Remember not all countries don't allow dual citizenship.

A passport cannot be taken away by the USCIS. Even the country that originally issued a passport cannot take a passport away; they merely cancel it and give it back to you. A passport is merely an identification document and a country will let you keep it as proof of citizenship of that country for future use.

Passport belongs to the Country that issues it and it has every right to take the passport back. I belive Germany requires its citizens to surrender their German Passports if they take up any other Citozenships.
My older Indian Passports clearly state that they are the property of the Indian Government and it reserves the right to take the passport back. My newer one says that I should surrendr it immediately if I take citizenship of any other country.
Having said that the USCIS is not authorised and will not take your passport.

Passport belongs to the Country that issues it and it has every right to take the passport back. I belive Germany requires its citizens to surrender their German Passports if they take up any other Citozenships.
My older Indian Passports clearly state that they are the property of the Indian Government and it reserves the right to take the passport back. My newer one says that I should surrendr it immediately if I take citizenship of any other country.
Having said that the USCIS is not authorised and will not take your passport.

For former Indian citizens, I read the thread that US citizens went to the Indian embassy/consulates to get OCI booklet after OCI approval and Indian embassy/consulates canceled Indian passports and returned to the US citizens (they didn't take them away. Only just that they canceled Indian passports). I guess surrendering Indian passport means canceling Indian passport. I haven't applied for OCI myself yet -- I am originally Indian.