Going back to US with expired travel document but renewed GC

nvvnravi

Dear Sir/Madam: I am writing this query on behalf of my wife. she got her green card with me around 2010. she has to come back to India on 2011 with travel document. From then on wards she was in India looking after my mother (her MIL). My mother was completely bed ridden at that time with severe brain clots and other complicated medical issues.
She stayed in India from then on wards due to my mothers medical condition, however she maintained her status till 2017 by renewing travel document every 2 years.
Her green card got expired in 2020.She also didn't renew her travel document after 2017. Last year (2022) she tried to renew her green card online which got approved and currently it is in USA under my family friend's possession.
Now she wanted to go back to US. what are the options for her now?
Can she use the new renewed green card and travel with expired travel document based on previous green card?
or can she take a visitor visa and travel as visitor and then stay in USA based on renewed green card.
How can she travel to USA without much risk.

your reply and guidance will greatly help i making our decision.
FYI, Myself , i am a US citizen which i got after i graduated from green card status in USA.