Going abroad after GC

santosh_30

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I got my GC 6 months ago.

I have made a few trips to Europe and really liked it there.

So was thinking of getting temporary work there. I will do all the needful about getting a reentry permit and all that.

However, my questions was:

Do I have to be on the payroll of a US company when I get work in Europe? Or can I accept contract employment with a European company? Would INS consider that as intent to not reside in the US?

Would appreciate your input very much. I will eventually get a lawyers opinion but first want to get ideas. Once I get the lawyers opinion, I will share it on the forum.

Thanks a lot,

Santosh

One more thing. I do not care about th fallout of my going abroad on citizenship. I am happy with a green card for now.

THanks,

Santosh

If you can convince CIS that employment abroad is temporary, you shouldn't have problems.

If it is a one-off job for less than 6 months, you don't even need the reentry permit. However, going away for 5 months then coming back for a couple of weeks before going away for another 5 months might be a problem (the two weeks may be considered too trivial to matter). And you will have to declare your European income on your US tax returns. You won't necessarily be double taxed, as there usually are tax treaties and other rules that allow you take tax credits or exemptions in one country or the other. It depends on which country you work in and your country of citizenship.