Getting US passport at US consulate in India

manishw

Registered Users (C)
My wife is planning to apply for her first US passport at the US consulate in India (Mumbai) using information at the following link:
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/apply_...passsport.html

The reason we were planning to have her apply in India is that she will be leaving for her India visit (actually we are moving to India) within few days of her oath ceremony. So if she applies from the US, we will receive the passport after she is gone. Also someone has advised that I should not take her passport to her (during my trip to India in few months) as it could be against the law to carry someone else's passport. That is why we think the best solution would be to apply for her US passport at the Mumbai consulate.

I would like to know if anyone has an insight to this process, especially if you have go through this yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Not Possible

Hello,

Once you take the oath in the US, it would be illegal to travel with the Indian passport. Your wife MUST get a US passport in the US and then a Indian visa and only then would she be able to go to Mumbai.

Note that if you need a US passport quickly you can get it in one day if you visit the regional passport office and pay extra.

Alternatively, she could postpone her oath ceremony date and then take the oath after she returns from India.