Getting TN visa before Quitting Job for Canadian employer ?

HS1501

Hello , I am looking for someone who had a similar experience .
I got a job offer from an employer in US and start date is in 2 weeks . I am planning to go to the airport and get the TN visa next week . I don't want to quit my canadian job till the visa is stamped so I am planning to come back same week and give my resignation to my current employer if Visa is stamped . ( I do not want to take the risk of quitting my current job and what if TN is denied )
I am planning to go back to US again a day before my joining . Will it cause any trouble at the border if I travel to canada before I joined the new employer ?

Remember that if you can only get TN at airport if you are flying to US at that time.
It is wise to secure the new TN before leaving current employer. The same will be true if you change TN employers in the future. Sometimes however that will not be possible, so remember that notice from the employee is not a legal requirement.

In this case, however, you should be able to go to the border anytime now and get your TN, come back to give notice and work for your current employer a few days if they wish; it is up to your new employer if they want to delay your start date (they are the one's you need to foremost please after all).
Once you have your TN, you can come and go as your please at the border.

You are not getting a "visa", you are getting TN "status".

Remember that if you can only get TN at airport if you are flying to US at that time.
It is wise to secure the new TN before leaving current employer. The same will be true if you change TN employers in the future. Sometimes however that will not be possible, so remember that notice from the employee is not a legal requirement.

In this case, however, you should be able to go to the border anytime now and get your TN, come back to give notice and work for your current employer a few days if they wish; it is up to your new employer if they want to delay your start date (they are the one's you need to foremost please after all).
Once you have your TN, you can come and go as your please at the border.

You are not getting a "visa", you are getting TN "status".

Thanks a lot for your response ! Really helpful .
One last question - can I book the flight to US , checkin for the flight , get TN and then if TN status granted . Cancle my flight and return from airport . I am trying to figure out the best way ..,do I have to physically fly and come back in few days ? I know people do that in land border crossings where they just take a u turn in few hours but not sure if it can be done at the airports...

You have technically left Canada when you are processed by CBP(ie. if your flight is cancelled, you do need to go back through Cdn customs -- I've had to do it in YYZ a couple of times) You could cancel, but I would not suggest doing it.

I have the same situation in vancouver, can I go to border at peace arch and get my TN visa and then back to canada ?

Yes ...you can get your TN and come back to canada . I traveled last weekend to get my TN .. went back to canada after 2 days to give my resignation to my canadian employer and re entered this weekend and joined my US job on Monday . Good luck

Yes ...you can get your TN and come back to canada . I traveled last weekend to get my TN .. went back to canada after 2 days to give my resignation to my canadian employer and re entered this weekend and joined my US job on Monday . Good luck
Thanks a lot, what type of questions they askrd during interview?