Getting student visa based on associate degree from community college

dharmender

Registered Users (C)
My friend in India is planning to come to USA for studies. She has done
Masters of Science in Botany from India.
To get student visa, does she need to apply for Masters degree (e.g. MS,MBA etc.) or PhD only?

Many community colleges in USA (specifically Bay area in California) offer 2 years 'Associate Degree' programs. Pre-requisites for this associate degree is 10+2 (high school)

My questions are:

1. Is this kind of 2 years Associate degree admission confirmation enough to get student visa?

2. Can visa officer raise this question that when my friend already has masters degree, why she wants to do associate degree?

I know one person who had done masters degree in India and was still able to get student visa based on 'Associate Degree' program offer from community college. But I am not sure if it was just her luck that she got student visa.

My friend in India is planning to come to USA for studies. She has done
Masters of Science in Botany from India.
To get student visa, does she need to apply for Masters degree (e.g. MS,MBA etc.) or PhD only?

Many community colleges in USA (specifically Bay area in California) offer 2 years 'Associate Degree' programs. Pre-requisites for this associate degree is 10+2 (high school)

1. Is this kind of 2 years Associate degree admission confirmation enough to get student visa?

Yes, IF the community is an authorized DSO and can issue you an I-20. I have been on F1 for an Associate Degree myself, so there is no problem there. The pre-requisites is the MINIMUM requirement to get into the program. It does not bar anyone with a Ph.D or Master to get into an Associate Program.

2. Can visa officer raise this question that when my friend already has masters degree, why she wants to do associate degree?

Yes, they can ask ANY question and the applicant has the burden to satisfy them for a visa issuance. Your friend definitely should think of a good answer if the Embassy asks why s/he wants to obtain an Associate degree after getting a Ph.D or Master.

The same question might even be asked again at the Port of Entry (airport) when s/he comes into the US.

I know one person who had done masters degree in India and was still able to get student visa based on 'Associate Degree' program offer from community college. But I am not sure if it was just her luck that she got student visa.

It is allowed legally, but as to the luck part, we all need some luck for an easy going officer at the interview. With that, good luck to your friend.

If she under reports her qualifications for the associate degree application and for the visa application, would she be able to return to include that in her portfolio once she enters the US?