1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting married to a Mexicana with a tourist visa.

Discussion in 'Mexico - Visiting, Living in' started by dirtfling90, Oct 13, 2013.

  1. dirtfling90

    dirtfling90 Registered Users (C)

    Hello Forum,
    I need advise and I don't know who to ask at this point so I want to make a ditch effort and post on this forum. I am engaged to a sweet little Mexican lady who I met at school 4 years ago and we don't know quite how to go about getting married and handling papers. She currently has a tourist visa that expires in 2023 and her i-94 expires Jan 28 2014. She came back to the states from Mexico in late July and I have proposed to her since then obviously. She didn't come with the intention of staying forever but now that we are engaged it changes things a bit. I don't have money to pay for plane tickets to send her back to mexico and then bring her back plus pay for a K-1 visa as well as the adjustment of status. We decided since we didn't have a lot of money and that she entered the US honestly we would be best off going and getting married at the courthouse sometime before her visa expires and then get papers moving for the adjustment of her status. She is 22 and I am soon to be 23 and we are just starting out in life with out wealthy parents so we need to get this done as cheaply as possible. If any additional information is needed I would be than happy to answer all other questions.

  2. Hexa

    Hexa Registered Users (C)

    You can marry then adjust status with the CIS, it will cost you $420 for the I-130 and $1070 for the I-485. You need to show them that you earn about 20K a year in order to sponsor her.
  3. dirtfling90

    dirtfling90 Registered Users (C)


    Would there be a certain time that would be best for us to marry?
  4. Hexa

    Hexa Registered Users (C)

    Any time is good. The sooner you marry and file the petition, the sooner she can work legally and help you out. I-765 (employment authorization) can be filed together with your I-130 for no extra fee, which should give her a work permit within 90 days.

    To be clear, you'll need to pay $1490 in fees when you file I-130, I-485 and I-765 together. This doesn't include the cost of medical exam performed by a CIS-approved civil surgeon, along with required vaccinations if she doesn't have them yet. The civil surgeon will give you a signed I-693 in a sealed envelope to be submitted together with the other forms. The cost of the exam varies wildly between regions, but you can expect to spend anywhere from $200 to $600 with shots included.
  5. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    You are a U.S. citizen, right?
  6. dirtfling90

    dirtfling90 Registered Users (C)


    Yes, I am a U.S. citizen.
  7. JohnFsimen

    JohnFsimen Registered Users (C)


    It good that you are getting married to the girl you love.Congrats!!
    To get a permanent migration visa you should consult a good visa expert who will guide you in best possible way.
    As you said you don't have much money to spent on such formality,in such case you should consult an expert as they have many option get a visa for all income levels person.
    If you want to know about a good expert who can solve your problem online then let me know.I will try to help you.

    Good Luck!!
  8. dirtfling90

    dirtfling90 Registered Users (C)


    I am very interested!
  9. Hexa

    Hexa Registered Users (C)

    There is no shortcut. Getting an immigrant visa or status for a spouse of a US citizen is about the simplest and the cheapest way relative to all the other avenues. You should be extremely wary of any 'expert' claiming they can make it cheaper, as the amount of money I mentioned are all official government fees. You can request the CIS to waive those fees by claiming that you can't afford it, but then it would put your ability to financially support her into question.
  10. dirtfling90

    dirtfling90 Registered Users (C)

    There isn't really any question of my ability to support her (and or) any chance of needing government support. She is volunteering at a Lifestyle center full-time as well as myself, but only part-time for me. This provides food and a place to live. I also work full-time at a small airport which provides money for all the rest of our needs. We don't have any trouble surviving, but this big bill for papers and possibly an expert is cutting into our funds pretty deep and with just paying for papers we'll be cutting things pretty close.
  11. Hexa

    Hexa Registered Users (C)

    You don't need to pay an expert, this forum has many people who have successfully gone through the process themselves and willing to help. Should you choose to pay for a competent immigration attorney (anything else is not worth the money), he will charge you about $1000 per application or more, and since you're submitting I-130, I-485, and I-765 then we're talking $3000 at the very least. I have dealt with several immigration attorneys; not all of them were competent, but all wanted fees in the thousands of dollars.

    I strongly advise you to download the forms and their instructions from USCIS website, then read them thoroughly. If you have any question you can post it on the forum, and somebody will usually answer it. You should post in the appropriate forum here, which is http://forums.immigration.com/forum...ed-Green-Cards-Through-Marriage-or-a-Relative

    If you aren't getting answers, try this forum because they specialize on family-based petition:
  12. mark80

    mark80 New Member

    Thanks for the information, I have a friend who is in a similar situation, I will pass the forum responses!

Share This Page