Getting laidoff today...

Suresh T

Registered Users (C)
I am getting laid off today and my company has agreed to keep me on the payroll until 180 days are over and spread out my severence package until then. Does anyone think there could be a problem? I will try to join the new company only after 180 days are over. Please let me know if that\'s ok.

Another important question.
I am currently waiting for my fingerprinting notice. And I just got married and my wife will be here by the end of next week. I need to add her to my AOS application which my company is agreeing to. But my question is that:
- Do I have to be with the same employer until 180 days of my wife\'s AOS application are over too?
- What happens if my green card is approved immediately after I file my wife\'s AOS? Since she will be on H-4 and which is dependent on H1, once I lose my H1 what will be her status until she gets her EAD and AP. Does INS allow some room in these cases??

Thanks very much in advance for your answers!

Do not worry too much

Hi fabolous,

Only the name and not your worries. :)
Try to be cool.
First of all give some info on what is your RD, ND, any EAD and AP approvals and so on.
You said your wife is coming next week, so all you need is take an appointment with INS listed doctor, then get a I-693 form.
Make sure you have her Birth Certificate ready.
Also the Marriage certificate.
You can do these b4 she comes here.
When your employer accepted to file her application, then what is there to worry.
Also you said you haven\'t recieved your FP notices yet, so that\'s cool in one way. So do not worry about getting approved b4 you apply for your wife\'s.
If you do the above mentioned ones, once she comes go to your attorney office if it near and fill up the forms and file it asap. The whole process should take three days from the day she arrived.
I hope this helps.
There is nothing you can avoid from INS.

In brief apply for her as she comes. do not worry about other things. worry about problems as it comes.

No Title

Here are the answers to your questions
1) am getting laid off today and my company has agreed to keep me on the payroll until 180 days are over and spread out my severence package until then. Does anyone think there could be a problem? I will try to join the new company only after 180 days are over. Please let me know if that\'s ok.

Ans. You don\'t have to wait for 180 days to complete you can start looking for another job and join them after you get your EAD.
anyway acording to INS you should be with primary company for 180 days and you get getting pay stubs with them so you are fine.

Another important question.
2) I am currently waiting for my fingerprinting notice. And I just got married and my wife will be here by the end of next week. I need to add her to my AOS application which my company is agreeing to. But my question is that:

Ans. You can add your wife anytime all you need is get married before the 485 is approved so you are fine so add her ASAP.

3) Do I have to be with the same employer until 180 days of my wife\'s AOS application are over too?
Ans it has nothing to do with your wife.

4) What happens if my green card is approved immediately after I file my wife\'s AOS? Since she will be on H-4 and which is dependent on H1, once I lose my H1 what will be her status until she gets her EAD and AP. Does INS allow some room in these cases??

Ans. nothing will happen she will get her approval later and her staus will be adjustment of status. you can get her EAD and AP also.
just in case if you need to leave country etc.

I hope this answers help you so cool down confirm everything with good attorney and get things started.

You don\'t need waite for your wife reach 180 days.

For my understand, the 180 rule is for you only. As soon as your wife get her EAD, she can work for any company. But you need wait 180 days. There is something you might think of: You are allowed to work for more than one company. You are in payroll until 180 days for your sponsor, and the same time you can work for another company by EAD or another H-1. One could have more than one H-1 at the same time. Please consult with your attroney before you make any decision.
Hope this help. And good lucky for your job hunting!

Thanks guys

Very useful piece of information. It sure relaxes my nerves. Well, I am off to start all the work you guys have mentioned...

Can I join another company before 180 days

My Rd is September 26 , 2001 . I\'m in bench with my parent company with no pay . I want to look out for another company to join before my 180 days completion . Will this be a problem for 485 approval ?

fabolous - Are you able to get another job !

How is the job market doing these days ?
I am bit worried, with my current company in doldrums in the sluggish economy and approval so far.
Please share your recent experience with the forum !
Thanks !!!