Geting N-Passport after GC

winthan

Registered Users (C)
Since I immigrated to US, I didn't use my National Passport because I didn't have it, so I immigrated only with GRCTD - Geneva Red Cross Travel Document to US and became a GC holder. Now, I am thinking about to get my National Passport by contacting some agent to get my national passport form my national embassy.

So, my questions are

1) is that illegal to get Nation Passport after I became PR in US?

2) Does my NP need stamp sign of US Homeland Security on Passport?

2.a) - if yes, I can only go out from US with RTD and come back new passport and get stamp on NP and showing green card, RTD to Homeland Security Officer. On the other hands, I have already I-94 which is signed since I entered to US.

2.b) - if No, can i travel to any country without any stamp on NP?

3) I traveled with RTD some places already, now I am thinking about to get NP and would like to travel, would my idea will effect to N-400 processing because of my traveling via various TDs ( RTD and NP)?

Not exactly illegal, but you could lose your green card if you do that (if you are an asylee).

Are you really sure about your statement though?, can you confirm about it?.
Because, I was a Refugee which is kinda like Asylee. If you said so, it meant I am going to lose if I do that way.

Well, as far as I know, some of Asylee have passport in US, and they can travel without problems. Somebody please confirm about this.

Already having a passport is one thing. Applying for and being issued a passport after being granted asylum or refugee status shows that you really aren't being persecuted as badly as you claimed to be.

See http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-53255/0-0-0-55206/0-0-0-55262.html
Factors which, taken together with improved country conditions, may indicate that the applicant no longer continues to be a refugee, include, but are not limited to:

(A) voluntary return to the country of alleged persecution;

(B) application for and/or receipt of a national passport, passport renewal, or entry permit issued by the country of alleged persecution, or other voluntarily re-acquisition of the nationality of that country; and

(C) application for and/or receipt of benefits from the country of alleged persecution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already having a passport is one thing. Applying for and being issued a passport after being granted asylum or refugee status shows that you really aren't being persecuted as badly as you claimed to be.

Yes, USCIS may think about it when i hold one. But they don't see how I got passport. I am thinking about to get passport by underground way which meant paying bribery to officers via agent order to get passport within 2 months. That's way I can easily get only. Otherwise, I can't apply and can't be being issue a passport due to political reason and my exile condition.

So, can I explain the true to USCIS how I got, why I got when I have it. Will that help for me not to lose GC?

Why do you need that passport so badly? You can travel on your Geneva thing or on the USCIS Re-entry permit. You will need a visa from every single country you will try to visit, but I'm assuming you would also need them if you used your national passport.

Why do you need that passport so badly? You can travel on your Geneva thing or on the USCIS Re-entry permit. You will need a visa from every single country you will try to visit, but I'm assuming you would also need them if you used your national passport.

Yes, i can travel to Euro and some Asian countries. But the Little Lion (Singapore) is not accepting USCIS RP or RTD as travel document. They keep saying their policies have been changed since 2007. That is the problem i got, If they accept RP, then I don't need to think crazy.

I wish that Obama's crazy administration 2010 immigration reform resolution plan will start soon and give Citizen certificate to everyone GC holders.

I am thinking about to get passport by underground way which meant paying bribery to officers via agent order to get passport within 2 months. That's way I can easily get only. .... So, can I explain the true to USCIS how I got, why I got when I have it. Will that help for me not to lose GC?

Let me understand this: you're going to tell USCIS that you obtained a passport via bribery of a foreign official, and you expect them to consider that acceptable??

That almost makes you deportable on the grounds of criminal stupidity.

But the Little Lion (Singapore) is not accepting USCIS RP or RTD as travel document.

While Singapore is an awesome country, I don't think the desire to visit it is worth risking your US GC.

Hey, if you want your citizenship so badly, join the Army and then you can apply the first day of your active duty. I think even joining the National Guard would give you that benefit ;)

Greetings from Singapore! :cool:

Let me understand this: you're going to tell USCIS that you obtained a passport via bribery of a foreign official, and you expect them to consider that acceptable??

90% USCIS accepted in some conditions indeed, because i have some friends who come over to US with others nationality passport (not even their own nationality passport) and applied asylum condition status, they got accepted it. and Now some become USC and green card holder though.

However, I will not take any risks since Obama is saying to reform the immigration in this year. I will wait for time, to become an USC then.

While Singapore is an awesome country, I don't think the desire to visit it is worth risking your US GC.

Hey, if you want your citizenship so badly, join the Army and then you can apply the first day of your active duty. I think even joining the National Guard would give you that benefit ;)

Greetings from Singapore! :cool:

sotiredofwaiting, I just want to be in Singapore for a month only, So that's why my mind is wondering with craziness thoughts :). And I don't want to risk my US GC too.

Since my bro joined in Army, I am not very impressed with some conditions. Otherwise, I might be into it :) I am sure that NG doesn't give that benefit, NG's benefits are monthly guard paychecks, regular civilian job, retirement plan, funds for colleges, Medical, health insurance benefits.

Have circumstances changed significantly in your COP since you were granted asylee status?

Asylee status was granted already before coming over to US, so that's why I came over here with GRCTD. No circumstances change significantly in my COP since I reached.

Not really. Believe it or not, USCIS even has some wording in a training manual that seem to indicate that obtaining the passport via bribery or trickery is actually preferable to obtaining it via official channels, as far as maintaining the "well founded fear" criteria for asylum/refugee status is concerned (but ideally one would not have the national passport at all).
See http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/AOBTC_Lesson_8_Asylum_Eligibility_Part_ II_Well_Founded_Fear.pdf and search for "bribe".

Remember that asylees and refugees are also often excused for misdeeds like using a fake passport or somebody else's passport to enter the US, provided they promptly admitted the fraud and made a convincing case for asylum or refugee status. Apparently USCIS seems to tolerate certain types of fraud with them, due to the nature of the enmity with their country of persecution.

Of course, when defending one's refugee/asylee status by explaining the reason and method of obtaining a national passport, it can be problem to prove that such bribery or trickery took place. And I don't know if such bribery/trickery would be acceptable under the moral character requirements for US citizenship, even if it is acceptable for explaining how the passport was obtained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that asylees and refugees are also often excused for misdeeds like using a fake passport or somebody else's passport to enter the US, provided they promptly admitted the fraud and made a convincing case for asylum or refugee status. Apparently USCIS seems to tolerate certain types of fraud with them, due to the nature of the enmity with their country of persecution.

I'm aware of that, and such fraud can be excused when escaping persecution. However, I don't see any grounds for permitting it once asylum has been granted and one merely wants to visit a foreign country.

Do you?