Get GC amd go back to India - Possible?

jolpot

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

Its funny that after so long, i am at cross roads and have an opportunity back home...very irresistable. I am almost on the verge of getting a GC...so, assuming I get my GC,

1. What is the longest period I can stay out of US?
2. What is the longest duration allowed if I have to apply for AP?
3. Assuming that if I were to come back after that period, I will have to use AP instead of GC?
4. Will this affect if I decide to apply for citizenship at a later point?

Kindly shed light.

jolpot said:
1. What is the longest period I can stay out of US?

That depends. If you have GC, you can stay max 2 year (with re-entry permit). If you have AP (and no H1/L1 visa), you have to return before your AP expires. If you have valid H1 or L1, there is no definitive period - as long as your employer is agreed for paid/unpaid leave.

jolpot said:
2. What is the longest duration allowed if I have to apply for AP?

You need to come back before your AP expires.

jolpot said:
3. Assuming that if I were to come back after that period, I will have to use AP instead of GC?

That depends. If you your GC is approved and you are away for a long period of time (say, about a year), you can have trouble at POE even if you have valid AP.

jolpot said:
4. Will this affect if I decide to apply for citizenship at a later point?

They are not related. Naturalization has it's own requirement. As long as you follow that requirement, you are fine in naturalization.

If you really want to move out of USA now and want to come back after some time to take the employment with your GC sponsorer, another option is consular processing (by withdrwaing I-485).

Last edited by a moderator:
jolpot said:
I really dont want to do the latter option you have suggested.

Then you have only one route - having AP and coming back before it expires. In addition, if there any interview/FP in future you need to comeback to attend those appointments too.