Germany Transit Visa

mysunny007

Registered Users (C)
All ,

I know that since it is a transit visa issue , I should post it in a broader form . However , I am so used to this forum and I feel like I should post it here so that my friends at VSC will benifit out of it .

Here is the summary of my understanding about Transit Visa ( German) - for people from India .

(1) If You are AP holder or I-551 stamp holder with out GC - you got to have the transit visa .

(2) If you have a valid visa in your passport - you don't need it

Here is the experiance with German Consulate , Chicago .

(1) The lady receptionist is very rude in answering some basic questions . As per web site -I am supposed to send transit visa application to Washington. However as per the information from NY office , I should send it to Chicago . I was asking for clarification . She was very rude in telling that I need to send the application to chicago . She does n't know that I am paying her part of salary.

(2) Although my wife's tickets are between April5th to May5th , She may have to stay beyond May5th . I specifically asked for issuing transit visa valid for more than a year . Those idiots gave the transit visa just for 1 month . In other words , If my wife postpones her departure from India to US , She had to apply for another Transit visa in India . After Spending nearly 100$ on this German transit visa crap , We are in the situation - where we need to spend some more money and doing it again .

Apart from money - the fact that we may loose passport in the mail - caused more trouble to me .

(3) The only good thing about whole process is : Chicago people took only half day to issue the stamp . Next day passport with transit visa stamp is with us .

(4) last suggestion : While sending PP - Use overnight . Although it is more expensive by 12$ , It is worth it . You can track it . I sent it by priority mail with delivery confirmation . I never got delivery confirmation . I was sleepless for three night s. It is not worth to save money 12$ and loose sleep for three nights .

Hope this helps some people looking for info on Transit visa .

Thanks
Sunny

I was flying through Germany in November 2004. I emailed the local embassy to ask them if I needed transit visa if I was holding AP. I got a reply back saying that if I had a valid USA visa, I didn't need a transit visa.

Then, 2 days before my trip, 485 was approved. So, I got a stamp in my passport the day before we left. When we got to the airport, the lady at the Lufthansa counter said that she won't allow us to fly as we didn't have a physical GC. Luckily, I had a copy of the email sent by the embassy. They let me travel.

Coming back was easy as they don't care much in India whether you have a physical GC or not. I didn't need any transit visa while travelling from India :)