Generating Socio-Political Awarenes through paid Media Advertisements

Are Paid Media Ads productive & Which avenues

• Yes they are; In small newspapers in cities with heavy immigrant population

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Yes they are; In newspapers with National as well as regional coverage in areas where the political

Votes: 58 68.2%
  • Yes they are; In newspapers which are staples of the business community (e.g. WSJ)

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Yes they are; In other Large newspapers with nation-wide as well as international readership (e.g. N

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • Paid media Ads are not very productive

Votes: 16 18.8%

• Total voters

vsaksena

Registered Users (C)
Also how much would each respondent be willing to contribute towards this effort? Pls add in the format below, so we can keep a running counter....

Userid....................................Proposed Contribution
-----------------------------------------------------
vsaksena................................$150

Last edited by a moderator:
you can count $100 from me, but even though it is not a big amount, i cannot contribute unless i am confident that it wont be misused.

who will stop the person, who will be responsible from eating the whole collected amount by procrastinating the media campaign by giving hundred reasons.

either we need a organization or some one will have to take the responsibility such that if the adv is not placed, we can dispute the transaction(we will use pay pal for the payment).

from what i know, i think its a very difficult thing to accomplish, since i hardly see any people taking part in anything at all.(thera are supposed to be atleast 100k people affected by all this, how many do you think take part in any activity....hardly 2000, the rest are just mute spectators...)

techy2468 said:
you can count $100 from me, but even though it is not a big amount, i cannot contribute unless i am confident that it wont be misused.

who will stop the person, who will be responsible from eating the whole collected amount by procrastinating the media campaign by giving hundred reasons.

either we need a organization or some one will have to take the responsibility such that if the adv is not placed, we can dispute the transaction(we will use pay pal for the payment).

from what i know, i think its a very difficult thing to accomplish, since i hardly see any people taking part in anything at all.(thera are supposed to be atleast 100k people affected by all this, how many do you think take part in any activity....hardly 2000, the rest are just mute spectators...)

I agree & thats why have suggested that someone in Rajiv Khanna's organization be responsible for the fund collection & monitoring.

I know $100-150 is not a big amount (considering the potential ROI) yet I understand we all would want accountability (me more so than anyone else).

That being said I still want to be optimistic, lets start with setting the goal to placing a small ad with a local media in DC or something with a less monetary hurdle rate. It could perhaps be a proof positive. Any members from the DC area?

more importatntly anyone on here who has Rajiv's ears? (could be somebody who already has an attorney-client relationship)

This is the time for us to rally around, Indians, Chinese, Phillipinos all of us, Across all Employment based categories. We need to present a united front.

Ready

My contribution will be there only on condition. If we strongly make a point that there should be no country limit for EB-VISAs ... I already talked to my senator already they are aggressively looking into immigration issues..

anil, we cannot ask for total removal of country limit(since it will lead to total domination by few countries like india and china...which is against immigration diverstiy)....but we can definitely ask for increasing the cap to something reasonable like 20% from the current 7%.

techy2468 said:
anil, we cannot ask for total removal of country limit(since it will lead to total domination by few countries like india and china...which is against immigration diverstiy)....but we can definitely ask for increasing the cap to something reasonable like 20% from the current 7%.

I stongly disagree. Since when has it become employer's responsiblity to maintain ethnic diversity In US. DOnt they have diverisity visa already for that purpose? In fact it is illegal to consider race and ethnicity when you are hiring someone. All the Americans I have to spoken agree that this is very bizarre policy and someone has even suggested me to file a lawsuit against USCIS regarding country specific quota. Infact this will be easiest thing to get removed. And if you were an American would you agree to be treated by a nurse or doctor who has been hired because he is from Timbuktu, not because of his merit but it will enhance immigration diversity?

I am confident it will be relatively easy to remove country specific quota.

That could be a Sticky issue

Folks if we start putting conditions on what we would want as toppings on a pizza before we engage/contribute, this whole effort is going to be doomed...

we are a few hundred thousands strong & we need to put together a show of strength, not quibble... We not only need to utilize this as an education exercise, but if we do this right, this could be a show of strength...

A 1/2 to a full page ad in the nation's most prominent media could dispell the myth that we the immigrants are working for peanuts, taking away opportunities from the citizens & residents of USA; rather we are a highly educated/highly compensated group who are just asking for a fair deal. We need to be putting together a very powerfull political statement to the powers that be, This is not just for now but for ever if we are going to make this country our own & claim our rights.... Our "Karmbhoomi" as we say in India (Folks Pls translate if you could for all the major languages involved)

Can we please start out trying to to highlight the sufferings faced by all of us irrespective of our country of origin, our sphere of work etc....

V:

Thanks for posting thispoll.

I pledge $150 to begin with and will put more as needed.....

Also, we should not quabble and make our contributions conditional. It will bring down the whole effort. We will try to make sure that most opinions on the forum and of contributors will be heard and represented in the ad. The "Sticky" post will list our concerns. However, remember that the ad is more to expose the inherent unfairness in the process, list causes and suggest solutions. Even if we make demands in the ad, they can easily ignore them. But what they cannot (well.... maybe they can) ignore is a public reaction to how "legal" immigrants are being treated compared to the illegals. And the ad may attract attention of the media who are always looking for some stories...and someone like TIMES may do an extensive article on this.....they have done articles on more inconsequential issues...and this can get a snowball effeect going....

My feeling is that the ad may make a big difference....but it may not...who knows. But what do we have to lose...$100-200 for trying. I think its a price worth paying considering the potential ROI.

Santosh.

Country Limit

When there is no country Limit for H1 and L1 then why it is for Employment Based GCs which does not make any sense to me. For diverfication purposes they can use Family based and Diversity ones...This should be corrected now....Other wise the retrogression will be there ... and we can see Getting our GCs after 10 - 15 years....

Good Luck...

Running total of the contribution pledges

Here is what we have so far..

vsaksena................................$150 AND more as needed
gcby2020............................... $150
techy2468...............................$100
santosh_30..............................$150 AND more as needed

We are doing good... Lets keep it coming... I see 35 responses from people agreeing that there is some merit towards educating the american populace about the trials & travails of the "legal immigrants"; lets get 35 pledges here

We need more affirmative commitments folks....

Lets hear from y'all

Vikas

i'm in

100, all the best folks
is it when we go and talk to senators, they'll help us?

belmont99................................$100

BTW Santosh had a very good posting which I am going to paste here

A good start I believe

22nd October 2005, 12:39 PM

Well... I wont re-hash my arguments about why a full-page ad in an elite publication (Washington Post/ NYT/TIMES/Economist) will be beneficil. The reasons are too obvious.

Instead I will focus on the content of such ads. The content should cover some of the inequities and injustice in the political and legal engine:

1) The cornerstone should be to give light to the plight of "Legal" immigrants.
2)Maybe show a comparison of how "easy" it is for illegal immigrants and compare to how law-abiding and hardworking legal immigants are
3) Yet how (historically) illegal immigrant are the ones granted blanket amnesty (like in 1986, sometime in 1990 and in 2001). Currently a legal immigrant would be in this country for 15 years or so and can get deported on some mere techniclaity. An illegal immigrant can stay....well....for ever.
4) How no one hears any complaints (or cries of help) of illegal immigrants since they are not as large a group as illegal immigants and dont have a big direct or indirect electorate base (like latinos).
5) How drawn out the legal immigration process is and how patient legal immigrants are and how they are squeezed by unfair requirements (e.g., inability or change employers and/or careers for years) and how it is an invitation for employers to "legally" violate all the precepts of labor laws and hold "legal immigrants" in literal indentured labor. Make an open call for the department of labor and as what provisions they have made in the labor laws to address potential exploitation arising out of such issues. What are the rights (if any) of an "legal" Immigrant. from what I know he cant even sue the employer since he will be deported due to lack of status (due to his employer firing him) before he even files the lawsuit.
5a) How the long waits does not allow "legal" employees to change careers or jobs or even go back to full time school, effectively discriminating against them by holding their life in limbo.
6) Highlight the fact that "illegal immigrants" are granted amnesty at the cost of legal immigrants. Like the 245i initiative that allowed illegals to apply for work permits and they ate up the quota for legal immigrants creating serious backlog issues (especialy for EB3).
7) Cite opinions lof people like Bill Gates and otheres who have spoken in favor of (legal) immigration and its importance to the countrys economy
8) Highlight some of the "self-perpetuating" inefficiencies in the legal process. One e.g. is the issuance of EAD and AP for pending applications and the requirement of their yearly renewal which in turns creates a tremendous workload for every pending application which in turn results in more pending applications.
9) Highlight some of the waits in the "secirity clearance" or "name check" process and how it can cause inordinate delays while at the same creating a security risk by giving questionable applicants the luxury of time to do their dirty deeds.
10) The insensitivity of the immigration machine and their lack of customer service to the plight of legal immigrants whose fees (mostly) keep the machine running. Maybe show some of the actual rude responses people have received from the immigration officers.
11) How legal immigrants have to suffer from having to live apart from family member because of technicalities in the immigration process.
9) Put some faces to our plight. People who are willing to volunteer. Or people who have got their green card after VERY long waits or a diffcult struggle caused by deficiencies in the immigration process. Show faces of family membrers who have had to live apart.
10) Lastly but most importantly highlight the retrogression and how it can create additonal waits over the years that people have already waited, now allow people to file for EAD/AP, not allow family members to look for employment, letting people get trapped in jobs for years. And suggest solutions for retrogression: recapture of visas, not counting family members, no "smilar job itle and job description" requirement, etc. etc.

We dont have an electorate base to persuade the politicians BUT WHAT WE DO HAVE IS MONEY (I THINK). Lets say some 1000 people in the forum are affected by and care about the effects of retrogression. I am willing to pay $100 (or more) if I can get my voice heard). And we can persuade others who are not on the forum to join and then contribute. This is a small price to pay for removing years of wait.

Santosh

vsaksena

Count me in for $150. I could pump in little more. But someone need to be accountable.

I still remember old days back home,someone would accept contributions and then suddenly vanish with all cash. :D

I just wanted my hard earned money (like everyone else ) to be used for good cause.

Good response

V;

Response looks good so far for (weekend traffic).

I want to make one quick point about Anils comment abou removing per-county limit. Anil: What is more important to you? Getting your GC or removing percountry limit? If you get your GC what do you care if you got it because of removal of per country limit or removal of retrogression in some other way???

We still need someone to talk to Mr. Khanna? Please any one who knows him willing to volunteer? We can show him the response we have so far. When he endorses this, we will get a flood of contributions.

I am going to start sending a link to this poll to Indians I know personally and to Chinese friends. If there is a similar Chinese forum, we need to send them a link to see if they would be willing to join the efforts. Also, we need to get the yahoo techworkers group. They have more than a thousands who have registered and care dearly about retrogression. Even if we get 25%, they cna bring in a lot of contributions. Anyone who knows their leader/leaders?

Ayone has contacts with AILA? They can make some donations or put an endorsement in our ad content. That will count a lot.

Santosh

Count me in

I am willing to contribute if immigration.com takes the responsability to collect the fund and use it towars advertisment

Unconditional $150.

Whatever the content is. If a small thing appears on NYT or washington post, my money well spent.

Running total of pledges so far

belmont99................................$100
mydearcard..............................$150 AND more as needed
anil007dc.................................$$$s not specified
lorestan...................................$$$s not specified
sunjoshi...................................$150 (UNCONDITIONAL ---YAY)
charlotteperson.........................$100
-----------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL so far ...................$1,050

Not bad at all folks... lets please keep the effort rolling....