GC for parents – given the upcoming changes to family based immigration

BAGB

Hi,

I’m a US citizen and planning to file for my parents GC who are currently in India. I wanted some inputs given the upcoming changes to the family based immigration which will limit this to spouse and children.

Assuming the bill passes, by when do you think the changes will be actually take effect and what would happen to applications already in the pipeline?

My best option right now is to file their applications immediately (could take ~ 3 weeks and they will be in the US by the time I file) and hope that the changes do not pass. But in the event that they do, what would happen to my parent’s application?

I’m planning to reach out to an immigration attorney for more concrete advice, but before I do that I wanted to check if this community has any thoughts to share on my scenario.

Thanks!

Hi,

I’m a US citizen and planning to file for my parents GC who are currently in India. I wanted some inputs given the upcoming changes to the family based immigration which will limit this to spouse and children.

Assuming the bill passes, by when do you think the changes will be actually take effect and what would happen to applications already in the pipeline?

My best option right now is to file their applications immediately (could take ~ 3 weeks and they will be in the US by the time I file) and hope that the changes do not pass. But in the event that they do, what would happen to my parent’s application?

I’m planning to reach out to an immigration attorney for more concrete advice, but before I do that I wanted to check if this community has any thoughts to share on my scenario.

Thanks!

I recommend you start this process ASAP, since it takes a while for it be completed and as well to avoid any problems with any new immigration laws. I cant predict the future and know when any new bill will be made effective but it will happen this year for sure, because of all the pressure on this specific topic.

I cant predict the future and know when any new bill will be made effective but it will happen this year for sure, because of all the pressure on this specific topic.
Pure speculation.. No drafts, no bills, nothing in the House or Senate.

Pure speculation.. No drafts, no bills, nothing in the House or Senate.

Of course there is nothing because they have not reach total agreement and it needs to happen next month. I doubt very much that immigration topic will be put under the carpet for another year, specially with all the pressure for the wall. Time will tell what will happen, but i definitely wont want to wait in order process my parents green card with all the situation that's going on right now.

In the past, proposals to eliminate a category have grandfathered petitions filed before the change (e.g. the 2013 bill). The White House "framework" also says "Apply these changes prospectively, not retroactively, by processing the “backlog.”"