GC for my mom who is widowed

gadis

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am applying green card for my mother and have all documents except marriage certificate.

Would like to know if Marriage certificate is required since she is widowed.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A marriage certificate is not required for your mother. It is sometimes required for father. If you are sponsoring your mother, then you need your birth certificate (with her name on it) to prove the relation and her birth certificate or alternate documents.

This is an extract from the US consulate website (some information is specific to India):

Proof of Relationship with the Petitioner

For Children (IR-2, IR-3, F-1, F-24, F-3 and K-4 Visas) and Parents (IR-5 visas) of U. S. Citizens, Children of Family-Based Visa Applicants (F-3 and F-4 Visas), and Children of Fiance(e) Visa Applicants (K-2 Visas):

Primary: Old Indian passports, birth registrations issued within one year of birth

Secondary: Secondary school leaving certificates, ration cards, baptismal certificates, family documents such as land transfers and wills, original wedding invitations, college degree certificates, mark sheets, property certificates, family photos or other reliable documents that show the relationship.

Instructions from I-130 form, petition for alien relative:

What Documents Do You Need to Prove Family Relationship?

You have to prove that there is a family relationship between you and your relative. If you are filing for:

6. A mother: Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name.

7. A father: Submit a copy of your birth certificate showing the names of both parents. Also give a copy of your parents' marriage certificate establishing that your father was married to your mother before you were born, and copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mother were legally terminated. If you are filing for a stepparent or adoptive parent, or if you are filing for your father and were not legitimated before your 18th birthday, also see 4, 8, and 9.

The marriage certificate is not needed for the I-130, but will be needed for her GC stage at the consulate.

If you read my previous post you will see that among the list of documents required at a US consulate for immigrant visa for parents of US citizens, a marriage certificate is NOT a required document.

I guess all consulates operate differently then. My parents needed to produce theirs when my sister sponsored them through the US consulate in Ankara.

If you read my previous post you will see that among the list of documents required at a US consulate for immigrant visa for parents of US citizens, a marriage certificate is NOT a required document.

Nkm, I think you are mistaking the document requirements for I-130 as the document requirements for Immigrant Visa application.

I-130 does not require a marriage certificate for mother, however, NVC requires it for any married persons. In fact, not only NVC requires the MC for married beneficiaries, they ALSO require it for married petitioners too, including any past marriages.

Thanks, for the replies.

Conclusion:
Marriage certificate not required if you are sponsoring only one parent.

Thanks, for the replies.

Conclusion:
Marriage certificate not required if you are sponsoring only one parent.

Gadis, your conclusion is MOSTLY incorrect. There is no such regulation or policy.

Parent's GC is a two stage process -

1. Petitioner files I-130 with USCIS

2. Beneficiary (Parents) files I-485 (AOS) with USCIS in USA
OR
completes CP with NVC and overseas consulate.

For I-130, MC is not needed for mother. But it is a MUST for father, regardless of how many parents you are applying for (one or both).

For I-485, MCs are not required.

But for CP, MC is required for BOTH mother and father, once again doesn't matter if you are applying for one or both. And just like I said before, if you (the petitioner) are married, you are ALSO required to submit MCs from your currents AND all previous marriages.

NOTE: For your case, if your mother is doing the CP, she will need to provide NOT only the MC, but also the death certificate of your father to show marriage was terminated.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case, my mother passed away few years back and I am applying GC (I-130) for my dad. Do I still need to submit Marriage certificate of my parents? Unfortunately, at the time they got married marriage certificate was not mandatory so my father do not have marriage certificate. What can we do here?

In my case, my mother passed away few years back and I am applying GC (I-130) for my dad. Do I still need to submit Marriage certificate of my parents? Unfortunately, at the time they got married marriage certificate was not mandatory so my father do not have marriage certificate. What can we do here?

Please do not resurrect a 10-year old zombie thread. Start a new one for your question.