GC for mother (Consular Processing in India)

gc2canada

Registered Users (C)
Hello Forum Members,
I am a USC and am planning to initiate GC process for my mother. I got basic info on USCIS website but have a few questions about the I-130 application.

1. Birth certificate: The form requires:
  • A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
a) My hospital birth certificate (birth in India) doesn't even show my name, let alone my mother's. It is a general certificate of birth of a female child.
b) My old Indian passports have mother's name on the biographic info last page but they are now cancelled documents (after US citizenship), so likely will not be admissible in support of the I-130.

What other document can I use? Will a notarized self-affidavit done in U.S. suffice?

2. My father is no more. How do I indicate that (or do I need to even indicate) in Info About Your Parents section?
3. In continuation to above, in Beneficiary's Marital Information, is it correct to assume that I should leave sections related to beneficiary spouse blank; or is it to be filled out for historical completeness?

Thank you for your advise!

1. Birth certificate issues seem to be pretty common for people born in India. I don't know much about this area but there are many members from India here who have a better idea. From this page, you can search India and click on birth certificates to see a discussion of what documents are acceptable. Again, other members here will know more specifics.
2. Put your father's info there. I am not sure what questions are asked but if it asks if he is still living you can say no; if it asks for his current address you can say something like "(deceased)".
3. She does not have a current spouse unless she has remarried. But he would be listed under prior spouses if it asks for that (not sure exactly what questions are asked), and the marriage termination date would be when he died.