GC 6 months expiring

lincyster

Hey Everyone,

My friend's relatives ( aged 65+ with preexisting conditions) have US green card, they went to India on 10th November, 2019. And they have booked their return ticket on 15th April. But because of India’s lockdown and also bc international flights are cancelled, they can’t come to US. And since they went in India in November, they should be back in US until May because GC allows you to stat outside of US for 6 months only.
Anyone knows what to do in case?
Will USCIS provide any extension? USCIS office is closed till May. Also the part of India where they are staying is much safer than coming back to NY as per their family consensus.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you so much.

Hey Everyone,

My friend's relatives ( aged 65+ with preexisting conditions) have US green card, they went to India on 10th November, 2019. And they have booked their return ticket on 15th April. But because of India’s lockdown and also bc international flights are cancelled, they can’t come to US. And since they went in India in November, they should be back in US until May because GC allows you to stat outside of US for 6 months only.
Will USCIS provide any extension? USCIS office is closed till May. Also the part of India where they are staying is much safer than coming back to NY as per their family consensus.

Thank you so much.
It’s one year, not six months, before residence is considered abandoned. They have till 9 November to get back with no problems.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much.

Please see this link https://forums.immigration.com/threads/stuck-in-uk-greencard-holder.342678/