From H1B to Green Card

akizdetz

Hi! I'm H1B holder and my company is willing to sponsor the green card. I'm coming from Eastern Europe (Moldova) and in US am working as software developer, I guess it's EB-3, right? I graduated in Romania Bachelor Degree in Mathematics & Computer Science (4 years) and Master Degree in Computer Science & Engineering (2 years). My work experience is more than 7 years. Please advice how to proceed to get this process done properly, legally and fast, reasonably possible and how much time it would probably take. Thanks in advance!

If your relevant work exp is more than 7 years..then you might be considered under EB2. If your company is willing to do it, then do it through their attorney. It can take upto 5 years or more to get the GC..

EB2/EB3 depends on the job requirements. The employee must meet the requirements, obviously.

The current problem now is the labor certification. For the PERM process, there can be no US citizens qualified for and willing to work in the job for which you are being sponsored. An employer is supposed to give the job to him rather than proceed with your GC. Given the current economic situation, unless your job is very unique, this will be a hard qualification to meet. The attorney is best qualified to make that determination; if he advises against GC filing at this time, do not attempt to pressure your employer or job hop as it is unlikely you would be successful.

It would be in your best interest to meet with an immigration attorney and have him/her lay out the procedures and costs involved. Employers are usually willing to pay either the full price or at least half the costs involved with filing the green card application.

To get from H-1B to EB-2/EB-3 there are many steps involved and you need to be precise and accurate in filing each and every step because the do over steps would entail more money.

Please let me know if you need an immigration attorney. We have been very successful in filing employment based green card petitions. Please send me an email at krsdhan2@yahoo.com