Foreign trained radiologic technologist wants to know how to migrate to USA


New Member
I’m a foreign trained radiologic technologist and I’m interested in working in the United States then eventually living there permanently. However, I don’t know how to go about doing this. From the very few information I found online, it stated something about obtaining a h1B visa or an employer sponsorship. So my question is how do I get a H1B or an employment sponsorship ? Which state, place hospital are more likely to take on the hassle of the employment sponsorship ? Where can I apply for jobs ? What agency can help me with this process ? Any information or advice anyone may have, I’ll be happy to hear.
Hello, friend. We are in a similar situation. By the end of this year, I will graduate, and I am looking to immigrate afterward.

Here's what I found so far.

In the US, to become a Radiologic Technologist, one must finish 2 years of a college education (Associate Degree Level).
In my country, however, to become a Radiologic Technologist, one must finish 3 years of a college education (Bachelor's Degree Level).
In some other countries, to become a Radiologic Technologist, one must finish 4 years of a college education (also Bachelor's Degree Level).

This fact alone might be troublesome for us. The Employer might have difficulty convincing the USCIS that the 3 or 4 years Bachelor's Degree is a requirement for the position. Troublesome but not impossible.

Other than an H-1B visa, it would be possible, and maybe even easier, to get a Green Card for a Radiologic Technologist. We just need a sponsor. The Employer just has to be willing. If willing, all they really need to prove is that nobody wanted the position when they advertised for it. This is a matter of luck, but since the job market for RT in the US is good, it's not like winning on DVL type of luck.

However, there is a problem with the ARRT certification. Concerning the certification, first, we must complete an ARRT acknowledged college to even be able to apply for the certification testing. I can not find the list of acknowledged ARRT schools because, in my country, I can not even open the ARRT website. It is blocked for reason unknown to me. But I know that my college is not ARRT recognized.

However, I managed to find out that not all countries in the US require an ARRT certificate or any other certificate at all.

So, my understanding is next.

First, we need to search the job advertisements in Alabama, Alaska, Idaho, North Carolina, Missouri, or South Dakota. Second, we apply for positions that we meet the requirements (that do not require the ARRT certificate or any other certificate). Third, we make an agreement with the Employer. Then, the Employer sponsors us, either for an H-1B visa to test us or directly for an employment-based Green Card if the test is not really needed for the employer.

So, the Employer advertises, only we apply, then they file the paperwork for us, prove that we were the only one interested in the position, and that's it.

I guess that medical institutions along the northern border of the US routinely hire Radiologic Technologists from Canada. I also guess that they are familiar with the immigration process and that they might be more open to hiring us. With that being said, I finally guess that the State of Idaho is our best bet for finding a medical institution to help us with our immigration intentions.

Best of luck to you. Let's stay in contact to help each other if one of us succeeds first.



New Member
Hello. Thank for replying. You researched !! I don’t think it’s possible anymore. I’ve
researched a lot and everything seems to come to a dead end. For starters, I don’t think we can be sponsored a H-1b because that requires a bachelors degree and although we have completed a bachelors in our country it’s not accredited in the US and it is not required for the job description so like you said it may be hard to convince we are necessary for that role. The only countries where the programs are accredited I believe is England, Canada & Australia. Secondly, to get a employer to sponsor a green card is a hard task. It’s expensive to do so and not many will be willing to sponsor. It’s not impossible but it’s hard. Furthermore, where you stated that we could look into specific states because they don’t require Arrt certification, I originally thought I could do that but when I started looking at job listings they all listed Arrt certification as a requirement :( . Soo to find a job that does not require it, you’ll definitely be lucky. Also to get Arrt certified we need to complete a program that’s accerdiated but that’s costly too. To go back to school and may not even be sponsored a job, I don’t know if I’m willing to take that risk. I know they had a pathway that’s advanced placement but it was basically cancelled. I don’t know anymore. Plus information is so limited. I don’t see agencies that can help. I’ve never seen any information of anyone being trained in their home country then migrated to USA. I’ve only seen information about migrating to Canada. I’m open to that but USA would be my first option but now it seems like it’s not an option anymore as I’m unable to find out how to actually do it. I thank you for trying to give me information. It’s appreciated but I don’t know if it’s even possible anymore.
Where to start?

Stay optimistic and positive!

Go to h1b grader dot c o m. There you can find the list of sponsors. You can search by job title and find the employers that already hired RT on H1B. Go to option: check H1B LCA (Labor Condition Application) details, pick the year, and check the LCA. There you will find full details. The name of the employer, the address, contact person, salary, etc. We can try to contact those institutions or better yet people who were in charge of the previous petitions. They could be still in charge. Then if we want to widen the search and our options, even more, we can do the same but search for Nurses. Medical institutions that are hiring Nurses are more likely to do the same for RT's if in need. Because of the difference in degrees, we can even try to ask them about EB3 visa sponsorship. If they are desperate they could be willing to advertise for the RT Supervisor position, and then the "problem" with the degree is gone. Like I said before going for states that still do not require the ARRT license by law is better. Once again we should start our search there. There is a chance of success. This will be time-consuming, but the goal is well worth it if you ask me.

Then again we can also google out some EB3 employment agencies. I will not advertise any because I do not have experience with them, but there are many in Canada and in the US. We can always try that route. It is costly but the first salary only in the US would cover all the expenses. We just need to get there. If I googled it right the cost would be something like 700 for I-400, 1250 for Premium Processing Upgrade, all paid by the employer. Important to know when negotiating for a job position. Then our expenses would be something like 200 for medical, 350 for visa, and 250 for a green card. The ticket and living expenses could be covered by the employer in a couple of first months while we build our credit history and score, or the employer can simply vouch for us. I am not saying this is easy, just that it is possible. We just need to find the right chance. As I said, countries that still do not require the ARRT license are our best bet. And even though you googled the advertisements in those counties that do want an ARRT certified RT, that is just a wish, it is not a requirement by law, and therefore it is not a problem for visa processing. If we find some small medical institution in some small town where Americans do not want to live and therefore work, it is possible for them to settle for less, and by less I mean us not having a license because they just can not find anyone else. Btw. that is one of the conditions for the employer in order to even be able to hire us and start the visa program.

Concerning ARRT and going to college again through an accreditated program, I would do this anyway but while working. That would ease the burden of cost, and in the end, it would not be hard because we would just go again through the knowledge that we already have. In a long run, this would make us more competitive on the market, and when the ARRT is finally in our hands we can migrate to the county of choice. I am talking about years here, but hey, there is no reward without sacrifice.

Just because we did not find anything on the internet to follow that does not mean that we can not lead the way for others to follow.

Just stay optimistic and keep searching. I will join you, but I still have two more exams and a final to even be able to start the process I am googling about.

P.S. Please excuse my spelling, grammar, and sentence construction mistakes.
One more thing.

Google also for President Biden's Executive Actions on Immigration. It is possible that immigration will soon be getting easier. But will see. Time will show. Also, remember to apply for DVL later this year.

Good luck to us! And like I said, let's stay in touch here.