For those who have questions about Married, maiden and other names.

Hello -

I checked the link above and also the previous posts... however, cannot find one that applies to my situation. I have inferred the answer to my own question, just want to double-check. I'm sorry if this sounds repetitive... but this whole changing name is new to me.

I filed my I-129F with my maiden name, got K-1, came to the States and will marry next week. I want to take my husband's last name and move my maiden name to middle name. Do I fill out I-485 with my new married name then? the marriage certificate should be enough proof... I'm just worried since previous forms (I-129F) have my maiden name.
I read the case of someone who filed I-130 with maiden name and you recommended to keep consistency. Does that apply in my situation too? Or this is the best time to switch names?

And... about the I-130... I see almost everyone filed one... I think I do not need one if I have approval notice for I-129F... am I correct?

Truly appreciate your help, time and patience.

calla_lilies said:
Hello -

I checked the link above and also the previous posts... however, cannot find one that applies to my situation. I have inferred the answer to my own question, just want to double-check. I'm sorry if this sounds repetitive... but this whole changing name is new to me.

I filed my I-129F with my maiden name, got K-1, came to the States and will marry next week. I want to take my husband's last name and move my maiden name to middle name. Do I fill out I-485 with my new married name then? the marriage certificate should be enough proof... I'm just worried since previous forms (I-129F) have my maiden name.
I read the case of someone who filed I-130 with maiden name and you recommended to keep consistency. Does that apply in my situation too? Or this is the best time to switch names?

And... about the I-130... I see almost everyone filed one... I think I do not need one if I have approval notice for I-129F... am I correct?

Truly appreciate your help, time and patience.

I do not know whether you have to file I-130 or not..prollly someone else can help u on that..but about the name, I filed the I-485 with my new name, i.e. my maiden name being now the middle name and my husband's last name being my last name. They alos have "other names used" blank, where you can put in your previous name i.e. your maiden name being the last and watevr middle name you were using.

I hope this is not confusing!