Fix the Material Support Bar

About 2 month ago. What they said "they are monitoring the progress but if the issue is not resolve until next year, they will work to introduce legislation that will solve this issue" I will keep you updated with any news.

I think they will introduce the legislation when they start debating the comperhensive immigration reform sometime next year.

Asylee_1999,

I have already sent an e mail to Anwen Hughes to get some tips about their panel discussion with DHS special advisor Brandon Prelogar. That is what I asked you in my previously posted comment. Any way I am getting periodic updates from Humanrights First on this issue. Hope things will be resolved once and for all soon.

This is our Chance.......

For everyone who affected by the material support bar or 212 a3b(inadmissibility) Please make an effort to attend this hearing, This is our chance to raise our voice.............

Senate Hearing on U.S. Implementation of Human Rights Treaties December 16th
December 9, 12:46 AMDC Human Rights ExaminerCassandra CliffordPrevious
Next Comment Print
Email
RSS Subscribe
Subscribe
Get alerts when there is a new article from the DC Human Rights Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
Terms of Use

The following hearing is open to the public and a large attendence is hoped for, as the Committee was initially eliminated at the beginning of the 111th Congress. Thanks to Senators Durbin and Joe, with the backing of large public support the Committee was brought back. So please show your continued support!

Submission of written testimony and a full hearing room will be very important in showing there’s a constituency for this issue and persuading the Senators to pursue it in the future. Any organizations interested in attending can reserve seats by sending the names of people who plan to attend to Lauren at Lauren_Myerscough-Mueller@Judiciary-dem.senate.gov. Any written statements can be sent to Heloisa at Heloisa_Griggs@Judiciary-dem.senate.gov. Any statements we receive by December 14 will be entered into the record at the hearing but we will keep the record open for a week after the hearing for additional statements.

The Law of the Land: U.S. Implementation of Human Rights Treaties

Hearing before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Human Rights and the Law

Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Time: 10:30 a.m.

Description: This will be the first-ever Congressional hearing on U.S. implementation of its human rights treaty obligations. The hearing will focus on the U.S. government’s implementation of human rights treaties to which it is a party, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, the Convention Against Torture, the Genocide Convention, the Refugee Protocol, the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on Children in Armed Conflict, and the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on Child Prostitution. This hearing will examine what the U.S. government is doing and what more it could do to fulfill its treaty obligations to protect and promote human rights.

Witnesses will include:

Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice
Michael H. Posner, Assistant Secretary for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, U.S. Department of State
Wade Henderson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
Elisa Massimino, President and Chief Executive Officer, Human Rights First

The hearing is open to the public. Please feel free to pass this information along to others who may be interested in attending.

Note: Senator Richard Durbin is the Chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Human Rights and the Law. The Subcommittee has held hearings on genocide, child soldiers, human trafficking, rape as a weapon of war, crimes against humanity, internet freedom, U.S. enforcement of human rights law, the “material support” bar, the human rights responsibilities of extractive industries, and mental illness in U.S. prisons. Chairman Durbin and Senator Tom Coburn, the Subcommittee’s ranking member, have introduced and secured the enactment of bipartisan legislation that allows the government to prosecute serious human rights violators who have participated in genocide, engaged in human trafficking, or recruited child soldiers anywhere in the world.

Where is this gathering at? I'm really losing all my patience and hope. Can derivative asylees go to the meeting too?

Those of you living around DC,Virginia or Maryland should go and make our voice heard in this hearing. It is totally unfair and unjust what is being done to us. The spirit of the law is totally misconstrued and we became victims of this misconception.

This is a golden opprtunity to make our voice heard. The DHS secreatary is dragging her feet to apply the waiver authority given to her and she always say we are working on it. It is almost a year since she took the post and she is doing things the way her predecessor used to do it. Where is the change Obama has vowed to bring. How on earth can it take 2 years to implement a guidance? Sometimes it is unbelievable to me to see such a bureaucracy here in the US. They know for sure we have got nothing to do with Terrorism ... ahhh it is sickening ..they didn't even give us the opprtunity to defend ourselves to go to court and prove that we are not what they call us.

Where is this gathering at? I'm really losing all my patience and hope. Can derivative asylees go to the meeting too?

The Walker,

I don't think there is a problem if you want to attend the hearing. If you have the chance please go there and get our voice heard. What they are doing is a complete miscarriage of justice. This is not the United States that the founding fathers fought for. This is a country of justice had it not been for some lunatics in DHS who are not willing and able to use the authority given to them by the Congress.

Perhaps someone could make an effort to spread the word around in other immigration forums too?

Btw, how do you submit your written testimony?

The walker,

I sent my written testimony to the email address posted by asylee_1999.
Please let us exert some effort to get this thing done, things will move at glacial pace if we sit back and wait for others to speak on our behalf. We have to push Senators like, Leahy and Kyl to introduce a new legislation early next year.

I am not comfortable with idea of bringing the issue with the Comprhensive Immigration Reform (which will obviously take long time to be signed in to law), if at all it is going to happen. Our case is far from the CIR.

Just submitted my father's written statement. Hope it all works for us.

I only live 2 hrs away but I can't be there. I tried to make it but it just didn't work out.

Asylee_1999,

Please go there and let us know the outcome.
But this hearing is on human rights issue not on " material support", is it possible to raise our issue in this hearing?

So what do we do now? Write letters to Senators? Governors?