First time international travel after GC...my experience

herenthere

Registered Users (C)
I recently got back from a short trip to Canada. This was my first time travelling since I got my GC. The entry into Canada was quit smooth. I did not give up my I-94 as I wasn't asked for it. It didn't cause any issues as the person just asked for my GC.

The way back was a different story. I thought I had escaped NSEERs registration after getting GC. Nope...I was still sent to secondary inspection and made to wait in a separate area for 45 minutes before getting called up and questioned (where do I live, why did I visit Canada, how long I was there, etc. etc. etc.). I was fingerprinted and the officer stamped my passport writing ARC on it and sent me on my way. I asked if I would be subject to secondary inspection everytime I traveled outside, even now that I had my GC. He said it would depend on the primary inspecting officer everytime. So there you have it, folks. Even with a GC (that clearly has my fingerprints on it), I got fingerprinted and treated the same way as I had with a visa. And this will probably happen everytime. I can't wait for five years to go by, now! I guess it's still nice to be able to travel, even if only slightly more freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Herenthere,
You seem to be confusing secondary inspection with special registration. I have seen even US citizens being sent to secondary. You were sent to secondary inspection. My wife, born and bred in the US, has also been sent to secondary inspection once.

Having a GC doesnt mean you will not go to secondary inspection.

I'm always send to secondary inspection due to someone with a similar name being in the black list of DHS. I have missed some many connecting flights, hours of delay... I am just waiting to clear up my name from the list trough DHS/Trip.

So having a GC doesnt give you "immunity" from secondary inspection/

Now, since this was your first trip abroad after getting your GC, you should it surrendered your I-94. Airline personnel WILL NOT ASK FOR IT. YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM.

Hopefully your name hasnt been "flagged" by DHS and you will not be sent to secondary inspection. Although I doubt it.

Good Luck,

I understand...I was just hoping to get away from the delays for once. Having gone through NSEERS in the past, I think I am pretty much guaranteed that I will go through secondary inspection everytime so it's good to keep that in mind when planning trips abroad.

As for the I-94 - I've read several statements from lawyers online (including mine) that the I-94 is rendered irrelevant after the greencard and does not need to be turned it. It's not going to be an issue if you do...it's not going to be an issue if you don't. However, it's frustrating that the law is not clear on this. My preference was to keep it in case it was needed for any proof in any future applications.

In any case, I was in Canada for 3 days and I believe the CBP website says that you should hold on to you I-94 for short trips to Canada or Mexico (less than 30 days). http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=752

However, I am due to travel again in a few weeks and this time it is not to Canada. So I will raise the age old question again - did you turn in your I-94 the first time you left the US (beyond Canada and Mexico) after getting the GC???

Last edited by a moderator:
I thing If you had I94 and any visa before getting the GC or After getting the GC you should return I94. That way you will not ask any question and I94 entry/Return record will show clear when returning back to USA

My case I got GC one day before traveling to my native country.While going I return I94 on Air Port . While returning Officer see the GC Welcome back to USA . No question Ask . In 5 min I was out from custom.