First name last name issue-Indian passport. Pls help

imhari

Please need urgent advice as i am really scared and confused. My Indian passport had given name and surname gor interchanged. It had my name( given name) in surname's place and my dad's name(surname) as my name- given name. So my Green card also became like that. As my passport was about to be renewed I asked about this confusion to as many people and every one said just keep it like that till you bacme US citizen-which is another 2 1/2 years away. So when I went to Indian consulate NY, I gave the passport application as it wrongly entered in my passport thinking that keeping it( though wrong) will keep GC and passport names match exactly. Thy asked why it is so and I explained to them that old passport name i slike this and GC also like that and asked whether they can give me the given name and surname as it appears inj the passport. The lady in trhe counter looked bit confused and said " OK" and I got my Indian passport renewed exactly like the old one( again the give name surname interchanged).

Though it look OK, I know its wrong and it makes me so scared and sad thinking I made mistake. Iam scared will they revoke or impound my passport when i am going to India on vaccation soon, saying i committed fraud?? will they prosecute me ?Can I do anything before its late? I am scared to go back to CG NY fearing they will revoke it hearing it .Please advice me. I am so worried.
Pls contact me at gpharie@yahoo.com also

your kind advice is highly appreciated
Thanking you
yours truely

Hari
NJ

Last edited by a moderator:
First name and Last name interchanged

My problem is that in my passport my first name is in my surname column and my last name is in my given name column. I recently came to the United States(three months back). My passport expires on November 2008. Thought I have a dependent visa till January 2010, in the port of entry I was only given a validity in my I-94 till November 2008 because of my passport getting expired at that time and was asked to renew the passport and then extend the stay till the validity of my visa. Now I need to renew my passport from Indian emabassy California. I'm really confused regarding how to go about it. Because I got my SSN with my Last name as my first name and First name as my last name. Even I have applied for my EAD with the same names. My query is that should I change my name in the passport or do a correction of name in the passport even before the renewal and later on change my name in the SSN and EAD. I'm also concerned with the name change and later on when I go to extend my stay will there be any questions regarding the name change will that be a problem? Please advice.

Thankyou

I am ready to apply "visitors visa" to my parents and i found out a letter is missing in my fathers name. His given name is "sarath babu", in that "h" is missing and rest all is fine. Is there going to be any problem, if they apply for Visa? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.....

Wrong Name issue in my indian passport, Please Help

Hi,

I am landed immigrant of canada. I have an issue with my name in my indian passport. I have my full name under my "given name" and nothing in "surname".
Therefore, making it difficult for me to apply for US visitor visa and plus, it also makes me worried and confused when I have to apply for off campus workpermit and other.
And also, In my canadian study permit. My full name is under my "surname" and nothing in my "given name".

Should I apply for new indian passport? And also, If you could please imform me about the procedures of indian embassy in toronto.
Please help.

Thank you.