Fingerprinting

Jay Ghoury

Registered Users (C)
Dear Jack and Alan,
Once again I hope that I am not bothering you guys with this question. Last night we received a notice from the INS asking my wife to appear in the INS local office for fingerprinting because the first one we did when we submitted the I-485 in 9/1/1999 has expired and she has to do it in order for them to process her application. I am just wondering if this is a part of the final approval process or it is just a consequence of another delay. In addition, any reason in your opinion to why I did not receive one as well.
Thanks Jack and Alan for all your help, my wife and me really appreciate all what you do in here guys and thank you for that.
Take care everyone.
Jay

No Title

Jay,

Finger printings are mostly done at Application Support Centers; and passport stampinging as usually done at INS district office. It is just a routine procedure: they take finger prints every year until the applicant\'s I-485 is approved.

Thanks Jack

Hey Jack,
Thanks for taking the time to answer. So you think it is just a normal procedure and nothing more, you know what, for a second we thought that this is a good indication and we are getting closer, but reality hurts, we have a long way to go.
Thanks Jack and take care.
Jay

No Title

Hi Jay,

What is the category of your wife\'s I-485 application? EB or asylee?
I was worried when I posted my previous answer that I might have put your hopes down a little. Anyway, here is what I can tell you from my experience:

(1) The INS will send you an instruction letter to go to an Application Support Center to have your finger prints taken. If this is the first finger print notice letter you receive from the INS it will be followed by an interview appointment letter 2 weeks later.

(2) At my interview at the local district office, the interviewing IO told me that there is only one interview but there may be several finger print appointments until your I-485 application is finally approved. In fact she told me that if I am going to be called for passport stamping I will be notified of that in the letter. So the fact is if your letter doesn\'t say you are being called for passport stamping I don\'t think it is going to happen.

I\'m really sorry and apologetic if I put your hopes down. But I have been there myself: when I was called for interview in March 2000 I was over excited with the hope that I\'m going to get my Green Card on that day. Now that I\'m thinking back about that day I wish I had discovered this discussion forum before I went to that interview.

But then again, don\'t totally lose that hope yet. INS has been known to make errors here and there. So you might turn out lucky and get your passport stamped.

In any event, Good luck!

J.A.

Thanks Jack and don\'t worry

Jack, how are you, and thanks a lot for all your useful and informative responses. As to our issue, my wife is an asylee as well and this is the first time she receives a fingerprint notification. This notification contains the regular applicant information and then specify why they are asking for the fingerprinting (because the fingerprint card on file has expired and in order for them to continue processing the application). Then it direct her to appear at Application Support Center (which is the INS local offices by the way) at the appointed date and time (in about a month by the way) to have her fingerprints taken and that she must bring the appointment notice and a photo ID. The question is whether this is the same notification you got before your interview or it is a different thing and just to update the fingerprints they have.
Jack thanks again and I am sorry that I am asking a lot of questions and being some kind of a pain in the neck, so I apologize about that.
Take care and have a good night.
Jay

No Title

I was about to answer your question, but first read Jack\'s message. As Jack, I don\'t think that citation is related to the passport stamping. Anyway, I could be mistaken, please post your experience from that citation. Good luck

FP procedure changed?

I submitted my 485 application in Oct 2000. I didn\'t have FP or Medical Checkup at that time because INS would notify me when they need me to do those.

Was there a procedure change? Were you required to do FP right away with your application before?

Tim

No Title

Jay\'s wife filed her\'s in 1999. You filed yours in 2000. I don\'t know about the filing procedures now, but when I filed mine in 1997 we had to include both Medical exam records and finger print forms together with our I-485 applications.

When I went to the interview the IO told me that I will be asked to go to ASC once every year for finger printing until my I-485 is approved. Quite frankly, we asylees wouldn\'t know if there was a change in the procedure because INS never tell us those things directly. My guess is that if you get a finger print request letter you just go into a ASC and do it, if you don\'t then the procedure change doesn\'t apply to you.

Same here...have a question though?

We file i_485 in \'97. My wife and I have an final interwview last December. Just, 2 months ago we received notice to take our fingerprints again. As of now we are still waiting for the stamp.
How long did it take you after final interviews to receive the STAMP???
Regards !
Luka

No Title

You\'re in the same situation as I am. My gut feeling is that you guys and me are about 1 or 2 years away from stamping.

I\'m just curious, where did you file your I-485? I filed mine at Houston INS district office in TX.

YEs, I have filed at Houston office too.

Let me know if you hear from them. I will keep you posted if anything happens in our case.

No Title

From what I heard from friends this office has the worst backlog case issue in the entire country (yes , it even outranks NYC office and LA office). I regret that I had not thought of applying mine in Canada or another state.

There\'s a lot of mismanagement and mishandling of cases going on at this office. They never sent me a receipt for the application when I mailed my application to them in 97. 2 years later they reply to me saying "Yes, we have your application. It takes 38 to 40 months to process such application." Now they are not even replying to me any more.
  And private security guards outside that office are worst than the Nazi concentration camp guards.

No Title

Otoka, Could you please be more specifc and let us know what month in 97 you filed your I-485?. Thanks

No Title

Yeah, Alanpero has a point because I filed mine in 97 September and I was barely included in the last FY cut-off-date (which is believe is Jan 98).

No Title

Your previous post said you had an interview in last December right? I believe it is safe to say that you are in the cut-off-date range.
But be careful how you interpret the "cut-off-date." One law firm web site posted a comment from the INS saying cut-off-date doesn\'t necessarily mean your passport will be stamped if your filing date is within the range, but the case should have been "processed" and be in the que for passport stamping when the quota allows.
  AILA was planning to sue the INS for discrepencies in asylee I-485 processing times before 09/11/01. Now their web site has not been updated in many months.

BTW, could you tell us a little about the interview you had in December?

How long we have to wait to aplly for citizenship after GC is issued???

It used to be 5 years after asylum is granted but now it appers that that have changed to 5 years after GC is issued. Any knowledge about this ???

No Title

It is for years after passport stamping. This was discussed and clarified in a previous discussion.