Fingerprinting related FAQs

jigesh

Registered Users (C)
There has been a lot of anxiety over the fingerprinting issues lately. I compiled following questions from various FAQs of this website. The answers are sometimes CSC-centric, but hopefully will be informative to others as well.

Q-1:What if I have been scheduled but my spouse and/or children have not been scheduled?

The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (“BCIS”, the new name for INS) uses a national scheduler computer generated system to schedule fingerprint appointments and it is possible that not all family members will be scheduled at the same time. We recommend that you wait and see if the appointment notices for your spouse and /or child(ren) arrive in the mail before your appointment date. If they do not, we suggest that your family members accompany you to the appointment. It is possible that the BCIS Application Support Center (ASC) will agree to take their fingerprints on the same day even though they do not have appointment notices. Be sure to take the I-485 receipt notices, photo identification (e.g., passports) and evidence of relationship (e.g., birth or marriage certificate) for family dependents with you. If ASC refuses to take the prints and/or your family members have still not received appointment notices for their own fingerprints, please contact our office and we will begin the inquiry process to have them scheduled.

Q-2:I have been scheduled for another fingerprint appointment although I have already had my fingerprints taken, do I still have to appear?

The BCIS notice indicates that you can disregard this appointment notice if you were fingerprinted within the last 90 days. Based on our experience, we believe that you should not disregard this notice even if you were recently fingerprinted. The BCIS uses a national scheduling system for fingerprint appointments and often times there are problems with the system. There have also been occasions when the FBI results were not properly relayed to your file with the BCIS. Therefore, it is better to return to the ASC to determine if your prints have “cleared” or if new prints are required.

Q-3:Can I go in and have my fingerprints taken before the date specified on my appointment notice?

You can try, but the ASC may refuse because normally they only fingerprint individuals who have appointments at the specified appointment time. However, some of our clients have been successful in being fingerprinted earlier than their scheduled appointment. Please note that the BCIS may not fingerprint you and if they do not, you will have wasted several hours at the ASC. Therefore, we recommend that you appear only on your scheduled appointment date and time.

Q-4:If I am unable to appear at the ASC assigned, can I go to another one? If so, how do I locate another ASC nearest my residence?

BCIS prefers that you to appear at the ASC which has been assigned to you. However, you may try to be fingerprinted at another ASC. Although the alternative ASC may not accept you, we have had clients who have successfully managed to have their fingerprints taken at an ASC which was different from the one listed on the fingerprint notice.

Q-5:I have been scheduled for another fingerprint appointment although I have already had my fingerprints taken, do I still have to appear?

The BCIS notice indicates that you can disregard this appointment notice if you were fingerprinted within the last 90 days. Based on our experience, we believe that you should not disregard this notice even if you were recently fingerprinted. The BCIS uses a national scheduling system for fingerprint appointments and often times there are problems with the system. There have also been occasions when the FBI results were not properly relayed to your file with the BCIS. Therefore, it is better to return to the ASC to determine if your prints have “cleared” or if new prints are required.

Q-6:For how long are fingerprints valid?

Fingerprints are valid for 15 months. If an I-485 application is pending beyond this period, BCIS will issue a new notice for the applicant to appear at an Application Support Center (ASC) office to be fingerprinted.

Q-7:If my fingerprints expire, can you contact the Service Center and ask them to reschedule me for new fingerprints?

The BCIS has advised us that this will be in the hands of the officer assigned to adjudicate your application and that we cannot request a new fingerprinting appointment. If the adjudication officer determines that the fingerprints have expired, s/he will order that a date be set to schedule a new fingerprint appointment. On a system-wide level, the CSC has stated that it is working on identifying applicants with expired fingerprints in order to schedule new fingerprint appointments. However, there is no guarantee that this will happen. Please note that there is currently no mechanism for attorneys or their clients to alert the CSC and request new fingerprint appointments. None of the other Service Centers have indicated that they will take any such action.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, good work Jigesh

There is a discrepancy with regards to 15 month rule. the iio told me that it is determined by officer if you will need a 2nd one or not. The 15 month expiration is not written down in ink.
This probably explains why some lucky people get approved even though the FP has expired.

This could be a very stupid question, but I'm assuming that they are not doing this for free. So, how much do they charge for this?

Early Finger Print

We had early finger print(2nd) on March 31,2005, but it has been more than two weeks no e-mail, no LUD, nothing regarding finger print done. According to FBI, they sent report back to USCIS on same day. Just wondering what is going on? How long does it take to hear from them? Is there any way I can find out the status of my case?
RD 08/07/2003
FP1 09/26/2003
TD 05/18/2004
FP2 03/31/2005

Hi!

Could you please tell me how you found out that the FBI sent the results to BCIS? We have been fingerprinted two weeks ago and have not heard anything from FBI or BCIS, neither did the online case status change to acknowledge that the fingerprints have been taken. Thanks, Vermedve

cannot receive refingerprint letter, need help

Dear friends,
My appication for I-485 was filed on June 1, 2001. I was last
fingerprint on May 4, 2002. Please note that the my husband got
his green card 2 years ago. The last notice I received from vermont
immigration center was a year ago, which informed me to wait for
my refingerprint letter since my finerprint expaired. However, since
that there were no response. It seems my case still active. I don't
know what should I do. Please help me.
Thank you.
longlongtime

Finger Printing

Dear Friends,
My I-485 was received on 17th June,05 but till today I have not received any Finger Printing Notice.I do not know what to do.
My I-140,EAD and Travel document is approved.

Finger Print realted questions

Hi Guys,

Need help. My wife filed I485/765/131 together on my behalf in September,05 I recived all receits after three weeks and Fingerprints request for I765 in first week of october, but did not receive any Finger Print request for I485?

Question: Do they request second set of Fingerprints for I 485?

Please reply, if someone knows about this.

Thanks, Paul

FP for I-765?

paul109 said:
Hi Guys,

Need help. My wife filed I485/765/131 together on my behalf in September,05 I recived all receits after three weeks and Fingerprints request for I765 in first week of october, but did not receive any Finger Print request for I485?

Are you sure the fingerprints request is for the I-765? What is it said on the appointment letter? It could be for the I-485. I have my EAD approved about the same time frame as your wife, but mine didn't require any FP (the I-765).

bbli,

I just confirmed that there is no fingerprint requirement for paper-based filing for EAD from an attorney, but e-filing needs FP after they receive their receipts. Moreover, some others still said they are required to do the FP for EAD even though they are paper-based filing. They said their EAD through e-filing have a thumb print on their EAD card. I believe your EAD is through paper-based, does your EAD has any fingerprint on? Did your EAD receipt indicate you need FP? Please clarify this. Thanks.

bbli said:
Are you sure the fingerprints request is for the I-765? What is it said on the appointment letter? It could be for the I-485. I have my EAD approved about the same time frame as your wife, but mine didn't require any FP (the I-765).

xyr888 said:
bbli,

I believe your EAD is through paper-based, does your EAD has any fingerprint on? Did your EAD receipt indicate you need FP? Please clarify this. Thanks.

xyr888,
Yes, my application for I-765 was paper-based. There is no request on the receipt for fingerprint. On my EAD card, there is a spot that said fingerprint not available. So far, I haven't done any FP for I-485 yet. I'm eagerly waiting for that notification.

bbli

To bbli

bbli,

It is bizarre! Some need, other do not, this is very confused.
Which service center are you in?

EAD w/o FP

My wife and my son got their EAD card yesterday and where it used to be the fingerprint there is a message "No FP available".
I am also from TSC

Same with me. EAD card says Fingure Print not available. I am at NSC.
More details in signature.

gopherhound said:
Mine says no FP available. I am TSC and waiting for my biometrics appointment.

FP/Biometric Information on I485 Receipt notice

After several( almost 20 emails and few phone calls) my attorney finally sent me the I485 notice this evening. In addition to the normal stuff the receipt notice also has

If This is receipt of I90, I485 or I698 application Biometric ( fingure Print, Photo, Signature )
The next step is to have your biometrics taken at a uscis appliation support center. Call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to schedule your appointment. We cannot complete complete certain steps in processing until you appear for this appointment.​

I called the USCIS and got an appointment on Monday 1/30.

Update: Completed Biometrics(code 2) for me and FP & Biometric(code 3) for my wife. The Officer at front desk for some reason decided to take only Code 2 for both of us. But after taking Code 2 for me they decided to take code 3 for my wife.

Which will start name check process? Code 2 or Code 3? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the first EAD, normally there is no fingerprint available on the card. once you apply for extension of your EAD(normally a year since EAD expires in one year from issuance) you will be having your biometrics, and your fingerprint then would appear on your renewed EAD.

xyr888 said:
CSC

Have you heard anyone else has the same EAD with the spot of 'No FP available'?