• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Filling Taxes As New GC Holder

alindragos

Registered Users (C)
Hello all!

I think I've seen already something about this in the past but the forum is so big that I can not find the exact posts about this.

I wonder : as a new GC holder, how should the tax be filled?

I've received my immigration visa this March and I will activate the status in the summer.

That being said, am I to fill the forms taking into account the first entry or the visa issue date?

I am sure a lot of forumites had this doubt and passed through this process already. Please share the wisdom!

Thank you!

Best,

Alin

Susie, another quick question if I may about what is it called "Departing Alien Clearance (Sailing Permit)"

After reviewing some information about filling taxes, I can see that generally all aliens, excluding non-residents and students, might be required to obtain such so called "sailing permit" prior to the departure from the US.

Is this also required if I am entering US only to activate the GC and will depart for some months?

Its a bit fuzzy the explanation that I've read and I don't know if you or other GC holders might be able to answer me this one and clear the things.

Thanks in advance.

Susie, another quick question if I may about what is it called "Departing Alien Clearance (Sailing Permit)"

After reviewing some information about filling taxes, I can see that generally all aliens, excluding non-residents and students, might be required to obtain such so called "sailing permit" prior to the departure from the US.

Is this also required if I am entering US only to activate the GC and will depart for some months?

Its a bit fuzzy the explanation that I've read and I don't know if you or other GC holders might be able to answer me this one and clear the things.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I’ve never heard of this.

During 2017 tax year I was in F1 student status and filed 1040NR. After filing I became LPR. Do I need to refile my tax return as a green card holder?