Filling Part 7. No of Days Out of US

nice_guy_gc

Registered Users (C)
Part 7 - Write the total number of days you spent outside of the US.

My question is how to accurately calculate the total number of days spend outside on a trip. E.g. If I travel out of US on 01-Jan-2009 and came back on 11-Jan-2009, then

a) is it simply (11-01) = 10 days OR

b) its 9 days excluding both inbound and outbound travel days

c) something else that I don't know :)-

Thanks

Thanks, is it outlined in any USCIS document? I scrolled thru N400 Ins and Guide to Nat pdfs but could find an example.

Personally, I included both the day of departure and the day of return so that they couldn't argue that I was trying to hide anything. I put a note saying how I'd counted days at the end of the list (which was on a separate sheet anyway because it's rather long).

Thanks, is it outlined in any USCIS document? I scrolled thru N400 Ins and Guide to Nat pdfs but could find an example.

You know I thought I could find this easily for you, but right now I can't lay my hands on it.
You do not have to include absences of less than 24 hrs, so your first and last days fall into this category.

"You do not have to include absences of less than 24 hrs, so your first and last days fall into this category. "

That's correct. Partial days in the U.S. are considered full days in the U.S. so you don't need to include those days. It is definitely in USCIS literature, I can't remember which one either

Page 24 - M476

Thanks everyone, yeah it should be 9 days. As outlined on page 24, M-476

When counting the total number of
days you have been out of the country,
include all trips you have taken outside
the United States. This includes short
trips and visits to Canada and Mexico.
For example, if you go to Canada for a
weekend, you must include that trip when
you are counting how many days you
have spent out of the country. Generally,
partial days spent in the United States
count as whole days spent in the United
States.

I have asked an officer this question back I had my interview this past October, she said that you need to include the days you leave and return as whole days in the US.

Whether you put 10 days or 9 days isn't going to make a difference. What will make a difference is the overall calculation in order to determine continuous residency and physical presence.