Filing with a lawyer vs without one

I guess it is human nature to try to justify our decisions, specially when they are not the best decisions, in that sense it will take a while before somebody who hired a lawyer to admit that it was not necessary. However, for all of you out there starting the process (this is what a very experience immigration lawyer told me) any person of average intelligence can file the documents, it's just a matter of reading the instructions and if you have any doubt read the posts in this forum.

Unless you have a complicated case (entered illegally in the country or something like that) you do not need a lawyer. Having a lawyer has no relevance whatsoever on how long the process take or whether you are approved or not, that is a combination of luck, location and what your name is (name check).

It is a myth... that a lawyer will save you time. He/she may help (or make things worse) regarding how your application is prepared... but after that, for as long as it is sent to the same place... your application is in a "first come first serve" basis. It has nothing to do with having a lawyer or not.

The difference in timelines are purely based on your DO's case load and sometimes, even sheer "luck".

Well let's put it this way, as a US citizen I have no knowledge of how any of this works. I didn't even realize how hard it was for foreigners to be legal in the US, and I'm pretty sure most naturally born US citizens are naive about this.

I suppose I could have gone on this forum before I went to the lawyer, and picked up bits and pieces of all the nonsense forms I have to file, all the supporting documents I needed, exactly what to fill out, and exactly where to send and where not to send the application. I still don't understand the mnemonics that people on this forum use to describe what they filed or what they received from the USCIS.

I already see how if you mess up on your application, the USCIS has no qualms about returning it to you and delaying your application for months to years just because you forgot one supporting document or another.

My lawyer gave me a list of exactly what I needed and filled out all of my paperwork and forms. All I had to do was give them all my supporting documents and sign the papers. So far, it's gone well and I think the money has been worth it.

I work full time and don't really have the time or energy to do all the research needed to find out exactly what had to be done. I tried doing that before, but was confused by the sheer volume of information on the internet about which forms I had to file for my particular situation. In the coming months, I will see how the progress of my application goes and if I still believe hiring a lawyer was worth it.

Well let's put it this way, as a US citizen I have no knowledge of how any of this works. I didn't even realize how hard it was for foreigners to be legal in the US, and I'm pretty sure most naturally born US citizens are naive about this.

I suppose I could have gone on this forum before I went to the lawyer, and picked up bits and pieces of all the nonsense forms I have to file, all the supporting documents I needed, exactly what to fill out, and exactly where to send and where not to send the application. I still don't understand the mnemonics that people on this forum use to describe what they filed or what they received from the USCIS.

I already see how if you mess up on your application, the USCIS has no qualms about returning it to you and delaying your application for months to years just because you forgot one supporting document or another.

My lawyer gave me a list of exactly what I needed and filled out all of my paperwork and forms. All I had to do was give them all my supporting documents and sign the papers. So far, it's gone well and I think the money has been worth it.

I work full time and don't really have the time or energy to do all the research needed to find out exactly what had to be done. I tried doing that before, but was confused by the sheer volume of information on the internet about which forms I had to file for my particular situation. In the coming months, I will see how the progress of my application goes and if I still believe hiring a lawyer was worth it.

Fair enough... :) and you are right, most natural born USC (stands for US Citizens) have no clue about immigration process.

If you wanted to use a lawyer because you didn't have the time or desire to really learn about the immigration process - then that's a good reason to get a lawyer.

But - if you wanted a lawyer just so your application would process faster - then that's the wrong reason.

Even when your application is all done - months from now - whether it was fast or slow still would not have had anything to do with whether you had a lawyer or not.

You might have not needed a lawyer, but who knows maybe you would have made a mistake somewhere or it just gives a better fealing. I dont think it was a waste. I had a lawyer for AOS and he filed everything, send me copies, came to the Interview... I am sure I could have done it without himand with some research, but I dont regret it, because all worked out fine and it made me feel better to have him around.

If you wanted to use a lawyer because you didn't have the time or desire to really learn about the immigration process - then that's a good reason to get a lawyer.

But - if you wanted a lawyer just so your application would process faster - then that's the wrong reason.

Even when your application is all done - months from now - whether it was fast or slow still would not have had anything to do with whether you had a lawyer or not.

Well it would be faster if it is done professionally with a lawyer right....

The average person, with no immigration processing knowledge, would probley not include everything needed, thereby creating a RFE slowing the process down.